Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vehicle to source them from...
MK3 (3rd generation) Toyota Supras 3.0 N/A.. (NON TURBO)
Their All the same from 1986 to 1992
For year range, look up Toyota Supra history.

Why do you want this swap? This is a must for turbo applications.
1st and 2nd are so dam short that with 10psi+, your just a spinning retard off the line.

With the Supra W58, 1st and 2nd gears are much longer than the Tacoma's and the gearing is more sports car like vs stock..
It has a nice flow between gears and you'll drop some RPM's in 5th on the freeway..

Strength? possibly..

What do you need for this swap?
2.8 quarts of 75w90 gear oil
RTV sealant
Rear impute seal. (that the driveline goes into)

What you need for this swap.
12mm socket (or wrench)
14mm socket (or wrench)
Air tools FTW.. if air tools, run an extension when doing the tailhousing bolts..
small flathead screw driver

Attachments

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
few more :)

After you break the tailhousing loose of the sandwhich plate, be prepared to catch the shifter dealy that had the 12mm bolt on it as you pull up.

Here's what you have.

The bar that held your shifter loop mite just pop out, don't freak out, just pop it back in..

Your going to need to remove the drive gear off the shaft..
This is held in place with a little metal clip.
on the topside, use a flathead to pry it outwards out of the hole.

Now pull the gear up a little and pry the clip out of the bottom then slide it up and off.

Now Install the Tacoma gear in the same way you removed it.. Which side up doesn't matter..

Use your Tacoma gear on the Supra W58 because the Tacoma gear is much thicker and the Supra gear will not work.

Attachments

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can not use the Tacoma W59 tailhousing on the Supra W58,
there are different size bearings for the shafts.
I thought I'd share that to save ya the hassle..

Now we address the speedometer drive gear.
On my sourced Supra W58, the car used a speedometer driven cable.
There is a little metal tab holding the gear drive dealy in the transmission held in with a 12mm bolt,
in my case it was broken on the outside and I wasn't sure how to remove it.

A little research showed that it just pops out.. So I pryed it out of the tailhousing from the inside and it just popped out, its a snug fit.
Clean up your hole (give it a sniff while your in there) giggidy...
Wipe it off with a rag, now put in your Tacoma gear/sensor in it.

Now bolt in your Tacoma gear sensor with your 12mm wrench.

Don't forget to swap in your reverse switch (near the fill plug)

Now, as you scrape all of the old sealant crap off of where the tailhousing meets the sandwich plate,
before you reinstall the tailhousing, Use your Tacoma's shifter loop and slide the tailhousing down
a little bit so you can slide that onto the shaft before you drop the tailhousing all the way down.
Also, pop the shifter on there and run through the gears before tightening down the tailhousing bolts.
apply your new sealant, let it tack up for a few minutes then slide the tailhousing back on.

Now tighten your shifter loops 12mm bolt and your good to go! :waytogo:

Tighten your (9) 14mm tailhousing bolts, I don't have torque specs, I just wing it.. Don't get crazy, it's ALUMINUM!!!

This is about it.. I recommend using a fresh seal on the output for the driveshaft.
Reuse your Tacoma's shifter and top part of the shifter, bolt it in the same way you removed it, enjoy a longer 1st and 2nd gear with a slightly better highway gear. :waytogo:

Now swap your Tacoma W59's bellhousing on to the Supra W58, reinstall your clutch fork, throw out bearing, ect.

There are plenty of other How Too's on here done quite well..
I'm more of a visualist, so that's why this one exists. :D

Note: You "Mite" need shorter bolts when bolting your transmission mount back up to the 4 bolts on the tailhousing.

I brought my transmission to a guy for a once over..
I'll have it back on Thursday

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Good job Chris!!! I wish I had the patience to do a nice write-up...

One thing to remember too is to make sure your shift forks are straight before reassembly... I had to take mine apart after torqueing the 9 bolts back down Cuz the shifter was stuck...its really easy to not have everything aligned when reassembling the tail housing. But all in all a very easy swap...hell I knew nothing about transmissions but did it with ease and the tad bit of info I found on this site.

·
cold eh
3,804 Posts
That's awesome info Chris D. Thanks for taking the time to put this up.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Just a word of advice.. Replace the rear seal on the trans while you have it out... Ask me how I know...
How do know? Lol

Mine was fine... No sign of leakage on my w58

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You have to think, most w58's are late 80's early 90's vintage.. The seal is older. Mine leaks like hell and it's a lot easier to replace while the trans is out and the tailhousing is off..
I totally agree,
why take the chance of wasting all that 75w90, especially if you bought the good shlt. :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Great write-up...now if only you would specify which w58s are good and which are bad...which vehicles and which years should we look for and which should we avoid...just an idea to go along with such a great write-up. I hear there are some slight differences in the transmissions depending on which vehicle you get them from and I mean other than the sandwich plate.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great write-up...now if only you would specify which w58s are good and which are bad...which vehicles and which years should we look for and which should we avoid...just an idea to go along with such a great write-up. I hear there are some slight differences in the transmissions depending on which vehicle you get them from and I mean other than the sandwich plate.
MK3 Toyota Supras 3.0 N/A..
Their All the same.
For year range, look up Toyota Supra history.

The title of the topic is Supra W58, not Celica or Celica Supra.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got my W58 yesterday. It came from a MK3 Supra 7M-GE with 79k miles. Which seal are you talking about replacing Chris? I want to do this slowly and right...

Let's see how it goes.
Tailshaft seal that the driveline goes into.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts