Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Note: I wrote this because I didnt see pics or vids in another seafoam thread, and if there were there's too many pages to look through for them.

I've been getting sh!tty gas mileage and the truck seems to idle a little rough so I figured Id seafoam it. This is the 1st time I've seafoamed the Taco and it didnt smoke half as bad as my TransAm, but it did fix the rough idle. Here's a list of what I used:

1 or 2 cans of Seafoam
Necessary items for oil change
Small pliers
2 funnels (1 for oil and the 2nd to pour seafoam in gas tank)

Step 1: Remove vacuum hose leading to TB with pliers.

Step 2: Start truck and maintain idle by giving it a little gas cuz it might die with the vacuum hose removed.

Step 3: Open can of seafoam and remove plastic cap, using the vacuum hose removed in step 1 slowly insert hose through the mouth of can. If the truck dies, just start it up again and repeat process. You'll find that just barely keeping the hose above the seafoam contents will allow the vacuum to draw it through.

Note: Once you start drawing the seafoam through the hose there will be a lot of smoke depending on how much goes into the manifold. Using my hand I manually kept the truck on when it tried to die by pulling the TB cable. Here's a vid of what it should look like...

Step 4: Once the can of seafoam is a little more than halfway through, insert the hose all the way into the can to kill the motor. See vid in previous step, the motor dies instantly around 1min into the video. It might deisel and sound kinda weird but dont be alarmed, it happens sometimes. After it dies just let it sit for about 5-15 min.

Step 5: The remaining contents can either be poured into the crankcase or poured into the gas tank. This is where the funnel comes in handy.

Step 6: Replace vacuum hose into original location, and start the truck. Dont be scared if it takes a while to start. I had to crank it a few times with the gas pedal to the floor so it would start. Once it does give it a few revs, it should look like this...

Step 7: Let the truck cool down and change the oil. The truck will still smoke afterwards but will go away after you drive the truck around for a while. You can also change out the plugs if youd like, but Id prefer to do it after the seafoam has ran through a few tanks of gas. Good luck guys and let me know if there's anything I missed :D .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Good god, how many miles are on that thing? The first time I seafoamed mine I had like 200,000 on it and it didnt smoke that bad.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck has 162K miles, but I do have another vid while I was drawing in the seafoam through the vacuum line. I'll post it up in a while, it smoked a whole lot more when I was putting it in.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Man, thats crazy, I wonder why mine didnt smoke so bad?:shrug:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I let the truck chug the seafoam by putting the hose all the way in the can and revving the truck through the TB. Maybe that's why it smoked pretty bad. Oh and my g/f saw the vids and thought I blew a gasket or something...LOL!!!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I used the brake booster hose. I was going to use the hose you did but i wasn't sure if some of the liuid would run towards the air intake. I did 1/3 a can in all 3 areas and the next day i did a second can. Mine smoked pretty good just like yours. I changed my sparkplugs but not my oil.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I let the truck chug the seafoam by putting the hose all the way in the can and revving the truck through the TB. Maybe that's why it smoked pretty bad. Oh and my g/f saw the vids and thought I blew a gasket or something...LOL!!!
its better to rev it up like you did. thats how we clean combustion chambers at my shop.
also i dont see a reason to turn of the motor after you put in sea foam.
i think its better to let it idle or go for a drive

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Turning it off makes it settle inside the engine and clean. You aren't going to do much by pouring it in and blowing it right out. The can says turn off 5 minutes so thats what i did.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I will say this: its dangerous to stick the hose into the can. There is a slight risk of hydrolocking your engine, and I have read experiences of this happening. The proper way to do it is to very slowly pour the seafoam into the hose. It literally takes my about 3 mins to pour in 1/3 can. There will be no spillage because the vacuum takes the liquid in.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I use a bowl and pour the seafoam in it and suck it up that way. That way the line still gets air and seafoam in. Voila.

·
ice cream taco
3,756 Posts
I will say this: its dangerous to stick the hose into the can. There is a slight risk of hydrolocking your engine, and I have read experiences of this happening. The proper way to do it is to very slowly pour the seafoam into the hose. It literally takes my about 3 mins to pour in 1/3 can. There will be no spillage because the vacuum takes the liquid in.

thats what i did was slowly let the hose sip it up. I too would not dip the whole hose into the can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What is in the seafoam that you would have to change your plugs? Does anybody even know how the stuff works? Not from a performance perspective but rather the science behind it. Is it just some kind of solution that bonds to the carbon and somehow turns to smoke and out it goes? I've read about a bunch of people using it on this site and they seem to like it pretty decently. Has anyone had a negative experience with it in any way?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to do it through the brake vacuum hose but I saw that it would only get to the 1st two cylinders. I usually put a funnel onto the vacuum hose that Im going to draw the seafoam out of but i didnt have anything small enough to fit snugly on the hose. I dont think the motor would hydrolock since I was revving the motor while letting it draw in the seafoam. Id say that would be a problem if the motor wasnt being revved, but I could be wrong. Either method works well, just dont get too crazy with 'em.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
There is nothing in the seafoam that would cause you to have to change your plugs. I have pictures to confirm that. Its just a petroleum based cleaner that dissolves carbon. By the way, it does not matter whether you are revving your engine or not. Liquids are not compressible no matter how fast your engine is turning. This is why you want to pour it slowly into a normal operating temp motor. A small amount of liquid at a time plus hot engine will help vaporize the liquid and avoid hydrolock. Again, the risk is very small, but it can happen.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Maybe i should do mine again then and use the hose you used. I got a third can for my dads truck i'll just use half of that. Where did you see the brake hose only fed the first 2?

I also didn't change my oil after the first time i did it and its a week later. Wouldn't there need to be a warning about changing the oil on the can if there was to be a problem?

·
Yota Doc
1,823 Posts
You can see in the pic that the brake booster hose feeds the 1st two cylinders...

And the brake booster line on a 5VZ only feeds one cylinder.

Just a tip, dont just vacuum up the seafoam with the hose. Pour it in the hose slowly and steadily. You could damage the engine if you suck too much liquid through.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I did mine again still got lots of smoke. Probably do another 1/3 can this next week to hit the other two cylinders i may have missed last time. Time for an oil change also so its a good time to do this.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
hey tacomaman thanx for the tip. I just went and did taht to my truck in the dark (flashlights are nice) with the last 1/3 of a can I have and imma go out and fire her up in a few. it def sounded like it was gettin more stuff in this time.
should be fun smokin up the streets at 11pm.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts