Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Been lurking the forums for a while now and I just joined today. The problem is that the HVAC lights that illuminate the fan direction selector knob on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma recently burned out. The knob that selects whether you want the fan to blow towards your face, feet, defroster thats located on the far right of the HVAC panel.

How do I take the HVAC panel out to replace the bulb?
Once I take the panel out where is the bulb located at?
And what bulb number is the replacement bulb if anybody knows?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I do not think they burned out. Wiggle the unit and see if they come back on, the same thing happened to my buddies 05, and we messed with it a bit and they came back on. Also, i belive the lights are LEDs, so it's not a bulb you can change like the previous gen Taco.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
NM that last post. To take out the whole hvac unit, simply use a flathead scewdriver or butter knife, slide it under the controls where it meets the center console, it will pop out fairly easily. Once it's off, unplug it and look behind, you will see 2 little black or white plugs with a slot in the middle. Turn the little plugs and they pop out, thats where the bulb is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NM that last post. To take out the whole hvac unit, simply use a flathead scewdriver or butter knife, slide it under the controls where it meets the center console, it will pop out fairly easily. Once it's off, unplug it and look behind, you will see 2 little black or white plugs with a slot in the middle. Turn the little plugs and they pop out, thats where the bulb is.
Ok. I see the black plugs your talking about. I turned the lights on and taped/wiggled it and the one that works still illuminates and the other one doesn't. So how do I take it out because my fingers are to big to turn it?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Here (attached) are an overview of the main components and an illustration for removing the control panel.

REMOVAL

1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL

2. REMOVE AIR CONDITIONING CONTROL ASSEMBLY

(a) Using a screwdriver, disengage the 4 clips and remove the air conditioner control assembly. HINT:Tape up the screwdriver tip before use.

(b) Disconnect the 2 connectors.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
DISASSEMBLY

1. REMOVE CONTROL KNOB SUB-ASSEMBLY

(a) Remove the 3 control knob sub-assemblies.

2. REMOVE HEATER CONTROL PANEL (1st attachment)

(a) Remove the 4 screws.

(b) Using a screwdriver, disengage the 6 claws and remove the heater control panel.

3. REMOVE A/C SWITCH (2nd attachment)

(a) Using a screwdriver, pry out the A/C switch.

4. REMOVE REC SWITCH

(a) Using a screwdriver, pry out the REC switch.

5. REMOVE BULB (3rd attachment)

(a) Using a screwdriver, turn the 2 bulbs counterclockwise and pull them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DISASSEMBLY

1. REMOVE CONTROL KNOB SUB-ASSEMBLY

(a) Remove the 3 control knob sub-assemblies.

2. REMOVE HEATER CONTROL PANEL (1st attachment)

(a) Remove the 4 screws.

(b) Using a screwdriver, disengage the 6 claws and remove the heater control panel.

3. REMOVE A/C SWITCH (2nd attachment)

(a) Using a screwdriver, pry out the A/C switch.

4. REMOVE REC SWITCH

(a) Using a screwdriver, pry out the REC switch.

5. REMOVE BULB (3rd attachment)

(a) Using a screwdriver, turn the 2 bulbs counterclockwise and pull them out.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been busy all weekend trying to work on my other car and get it back running again. So all I do is remove the panel and use a flat head to unscrew the bulb? I will give it a try tomorrow once i get off work and report back here once I do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't have a screwdriver that was sharp enough to fit so I used a sharp steak knife instead. I have been searching all over the internet to find a replacement but only have find stuff like tail lights, interior LED dome lights, or license plate lights. Is there a website that I can go to order one from? Or is the dealership the only place I can find one at?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
On the pre-2005 Tacomas, there were certain illumination bulbs (including at least one for the HVAC control panel) that were 'peculiar' (very close matches to standard format in such-and-such size, but different enough that standard format bulbs might not work).

I don't know if the HVAC bulbs on the 2005+ Tacos are 'peculiar' in the same way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the pre-2005 Tacomas, there were certain illumination bulbs (including at least one for the HVAC control panel) that were 'peculiar' (very close matches to standard format in such-and-such size, but different enough that standard format bulbs might not work).

I don't know if the HVAC bulbs on the 2005+ Tacos are 'peculiar' in the same way.
I pulled it out and I have never seen a lightbulb that looked like that before so they might be "peculiar" also lol. Think I might be stuck going to the "stealership" and finding out how much it cost up there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went up to the dealership today and ordered the bulb since I couldn't find them anywhere. Even the Toyota dealership didn't have them in stock so they had to order them and have them shipped

·
Registered
377 Posts
How much did they charge you for those bulbs?

I mentioned this in another post just now, then saw your post. It was 06-ish when mine went out and Toyota dealer wanted $13 for a single bulb then. The LED that I put in for $2 is so dim I may was well not have a bulb in there but at least it has lasted.

( below is copy/pasted from http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1762570&posted=1#post1762570 )

The light behind my vent selector knob went out a few years ago. Found out that it's a # 74 bulb but has a mount that it has to sit in with the wire leads curled through it. I couldn't get the bulb at the time (people looked at me like I was weird for asking for that bulb). Eventually found an LED premounted but it's very dim. The bulbs behind the vent switch panel channel the light through something like clear acrylic so you need a bulb that puts a lot of light out to the sides. LED is too directional and made for a very dim switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much did they charge you for those bulbs?

I mentioned this in another post just now, then saw your post. It was 06-ish when mine went out and Toyota dealer wanted $13 for a single bulb then. The LED that I put in for $2 is so dim I may was well not have a bulb in there but at least it has lasted.

( below is copy/pasted from http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1762570&posted=1#post1762570 )

The light behind my vent selector knob went out a few years ago. Found out that it's a # 74 bulb but has a mount that it has to sit in with the wire leads curled through it. I couldn't get the bulb at the time (people looked at me like I was weird for asking for that bulb). Eventually found an LED premounted but it's very dim. The bulbs behind the vent switch panel channel the light through something like clear acrylic so you need a bulb that puts a lot of light out to the sides. LED is too directional and made for a very dim switch.
A whole $10! I was so pissed when he told me that because I know there only really worth $2-$3. Just couldn't find it at any parts store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not think they burned out. Wiggle the unit and see if they come back on, the same thing happened to my buddies 05, and we messed with it a bit and they came back on. Also, i belive the lights are LEDs, so it's not a bulb you can change like the previous gen Taco.
Hi! Did your buddy find a fix instead of constantly having to wiggle or tap the unit? Mine goes out and when tapped, it comes right back on, but it's annoying having to do that every single time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi! Did your buddy find a fix instead of constantly having to wiggle or tap the unit? Mine goes out and when tapped, it comes right back on, but it's annoying having to do that every single time.
Bump! This just happened to me too ha. It’s the third knob. Mainly just noticed it by I switched the knobs out. Have to wiggle that MF’r every time. Anyone know The bulb? #74 ? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump! This just happened to me too ha. It’s the third knob. Mainly just noticed it by I switched the knobs out. Have to wiggle that MF’r every time. Anyone know The bulb? #74 ? Thanks
Mine went out, no tapping would make it turn on. To source this light you have 2 options. Spend days reading old threads like I just got done doing, and see that the dealership charges $12+ bucks for one light. Or option two (what I just did on mine) was grabbed an aftermarket set off ebay. Seem to work fine so far. I just searched for tacoma dash light and bought the first set that popped up. They are mini incandecants.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There’s a lot of misinformation listing these bulbs as “#74”. For my truck (1996) they are E74. The E is for European and the base is noticeably smaller.

Technically, the #74 are W2.1 x 4.9 mm base and the E74 are W2.1 x 4.6. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE! As Enola said they are a bit peculiar and people see the 74 on the bulb then get the wrong ones.

A quick search on Amazon found a 10 pack for $6.10 shipped: CEC Industries E74 Bulbs, 14 V, 1.4 W, W2x4.6d Base, T-1.5 shape (Box of 10) - - Amazon.com

Edit: Look at the reviews for the bulbs linked above and you’ll see everyone is thrilled they finally found the right bulbs, LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts