Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hai,

I have searched everywhere, became member of many fora, to find my answers on my problem.
I want to change the colour of the ledlights of my gauge.
I did get the dash out, but then I come to the point where I need to remove the needles.
But nobody can tell me how.....same story for the heater console.
These leds I want to change also, but how to get to the original leds
...?????

As you can see, there are no loose bulbs, which I can pull out of the dash.
But do anybody know how to remove the needles, so I can change the leds between the white cover and the plate with the details on it, like speed etc?

Toyota Avensis Verso 2004 2.0VVTi

regards
Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
The needles just pull off straight. The best way to do it is get some tweezers that are like 7" long. and have slender tips. Gently slide the tips under the needle bases and pry down on the outer part of the cluster where your fingers are and not at the tip of the tweezer. You want to pop the needles up with the tips of tweezers by pushing the base of the tweezers down and letting the natural action of the tweezers going down to pop the tweezer tips up.....But don't scratch the gauge face. Do not grab them with your hand and rip on them. The needle shafts will bend and get F%$#@#d up. Don't ask me how i know. Or you can try one of those plastic odometer needle remover tools. If you are paranoid you can buy a recycled dash cluster from a junk yard and practice on it first. I took my GF's Nissan sentra cluster apart and made it sweet but i removed the lcd info screen wrong and broke it. I had to buy a new dash cluster (used of course) and fixed my F'up. But you had better take damn good pictures of where your needles are when you do it. otherwise your gas gauge speedo and temp gauge will all be wrong and THAT IS A HUGE PITA TO FIX!!!!!!! You need a GPS, a cold engine and a full tank of gas. very hard to get the needles right................ GOOD LUCK! Here are some teasers if you are sucessful.
Here is only white lights

Here is what i settled on. I almost went all red!

Here is my Gf's sentra dash.

Here is my ZX10R

And a sick blue shift light!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are your needles 2 pieces. if the needle is a clear material then the black parts are caps\covers. Most of the time you can take a 90 degree angle pick slid it under the black part only and gently pry in different spots on the cap and see if it moves in one spot more than the other. If the one spot moves more then pry 1\4" before or after that exact spot and you should be able to pop the cap of and see how they are stuck! All needles i have seen so far are always pressed on. Some of the cluster screen parts are a colored pigment imprinted onto the plastic piece sandwiched in between the dash screens. A lot of the time you have to sand off the colored pigment with just any sand paper until the plastic is clear. or it will make your lights look like ****.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't be afraid to put some force behind it. Your gonna have to really get something under them that does not flex much. Now i can see your tool for the needles is not going to work very well. you really need something stout. On the back of the odometer where you have the big white arrows. Thats the back of the little tiny motor windings. DO NOT MESS WITH THOSE. the needles only come off from the front.

This is what i use and they always work......But i would like even smaller tipped ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hai guys.

wow, what an advice here! You made me a happy man and I will try as soon as I can.
These are the advices I needed.

And yes, i as a bit afraid to put to much force behind the needle.

I will remove the dash later today and will try to get the needles removed.

Thanks from a happy dutchman!

regards
Dennis

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hai guys,

thank you so much for helping me this way.

I did it :clapping: (40 years old and feeling like a 12 year old, when I managed the remove the needle)

These are the images. Guess these are the only one on internet I guess. :silly:

For the appreciating I have upgraded my account here.

Other way to thank you, I would not know.

Got 1 question: what kind of led are these? I know a guy who can do awesome things with electronics, to solder the new leds.

Does anybody know where I can find the dark plate with the details, in a different colour?

thanks !

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
What color are the led bulbs when powered up. Can you post a pic of the the details screen front and back?? hopefully put a flash light behind it snap a picture. If the details screen has a colored pigment on it then you have to sand the color off of it until the plastic is clear and then the leds color can shine through. Or sand the color off and apply a thin colored plastic film (if your leds are white or incandescent) to the sanded area for the color change you desire!
these all can be modified!!! I only used this site for all my bulbs.............superbrightleds.com

your leds appear to be like a 74 wedge led but i cant tell for sure. if it has to be soldered that's very easy also.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What color are the led bulbs when powered up. Can you post a pic of the the details screen front and back?? hopefully put a flash light behind it snap a picture. If the details screen has a colored pigment on it then you have to sand the color off of it until the plastic is clear and then the leds color can shine through. Or sand the color off and apply a thin colored plastic film (if your leds are white or incandescent) to the sanded area for the color change you desire!
these all can be modified!!! I only used this site for all my bulbs.............superbrightleds.com

your leds appear to be like a 74 wedge led but i cant tell for sure. if it has to be soldered that's very easy also.
The white part of the cluster on the front is just a cover and can be separated from the circuit board. The lcd screen stays in the white part of the cover i believe. there are 3-4 release tabs that hold the circuit board and cover together. once you pop them free you need to remove the circuit board starting by the lcd screen and disconnect it very very VERY carefully. then we can get a better look at the leds!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hai,

the led colour is white. Whiter then white. Exept the led of my petrol meter. These are red/purple.
When I turn on my headlight, the light of my dash will dimm automaticly.
All the leds are soldered. No way that I can take them out by hand.
They have no socket and are like 1 mm flat. (they do not look àt all like the leds on your post previous to this one.)

1 problem: the needle from the petrol gage, was normally rising slowly to the point where it needed to stop.
But now, it jumps to this point, bounched back en forward for 1 second. How can this have happened by me? And what Do I need to do to get it fixed?

Another question:
After I had put the needles back, I mounted the dash back in the car. But the needles didn't wordt.
Pulled of the needles and searched for place when they started to move. My rpm meter was fine instantly.
My speedometer, hmmm, within 1 second on 60 miles an hour...no way, so pulled the needle of and searched, searched and finally (by checking with my tomtom, the needle was on the right place),
Isnt there a easier way which I forget to do in the first place?

The boss at home has decided. All leds must become bright blue.

All the leds must become blue. I dont mind, i hoped it would be blue.
So I will change also the heater leds into blue leds. That one I need to find out how to get to those leds.

The plate with all the details on, where the needles are mounted on, does anybody know, if they excist for an european avensis verso 2004, 2.0VVTi?

PLease see the pictures.
I am on nightshift now and will post the pictures, with the flashlights as soon as I can and know how to put the needles back in the richt place.

Thanks again for your help!

Photo1 is with my headlights on. The dash with the colour blue is just to show what sort of blue colour I would like.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, thats correct, I used my tomtom device.
What can you tell me about these leds?
These are the same.

Need they to be replaced by soldered new leds?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oke, I dont mind!
Easy sounds always good.

Can you tell me how this colored film is called? (sorry dutch)
I mean what brand of what ever its called?
In what kind of shop can I find this?

Most important, how do I mount this on the excisting leds?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
EBAY! headlight tint! Or find at a craft store, or a store that deals in stage lighting.I got this picture off ebay. You should be able to just tape this to the back of the details screen or just cover the areas that the light comes through that detail screen. I still want to see the back of your screen. I would just tape it in and see how it looks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have found a store nearby where I live. I hope that they can deliver the blue coloured film.
When I apply that on the backside of the cover, I will first make some pictures as you requested.

Is this film like a sticker, which I can stick on the backside of the cover?

If not, what do I do ? Do i stick it on the white plastic part where the cover is mounted on?

Regards Dennis

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would imagine a little scotch tape or a double sided tape would work also. Just to keep it from sliding in there. I would probably lay it on the back of the detail screen and trim the edges to the same size as the screen and go from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Will do that.
Tomorrow i can pick up the blue film tommorow night it will be finished and I will make the pictur as requested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hai, bought the headlight film yesterday. Blue colour and put it on de back of the plate. This was easy, because one side was sticky so i did not had to use tape.
Result: dont see any difference!
The first photo is without film and the second with blue film.
Without film:

Speedometer Gauge Auto part Vehicle Measuring instrument

With film:

Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Odometer

As requested the plate with backlight.
This is how it looks with a ledlight behind the plate:
Speedometer Gauge Auto part Odometer Vehicle

And this with a halogen light behind the plate:
Technology Snowboard Auto part

The rear of the plate:

Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Odometer Auto part

Are there different colours blue film? Or do i need to do somthing else to get bur backlight?

Thanks dennis

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,125 Posts
Hmmmmm ... Was the blue film between the LED light source and the back of the face plate, so the LED's light had to pass through the film? :thinking:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts