Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
If it's the manual trans, then somewhere below 400 crank torque. I daily'd 5psi on the stock W59 5-speed and bone stock rear end until I upgraded to the W58, which is the same case basically but different ratios. I am now at 22lbs of boost, beating the **** out of the truck and racing it in autocross, and the W58 and stock 7.5 rear end with 4.11 gears and Detroit Tru-Trac LSD handle it no problem. My engine is built now, did that back in 2018, but the stock engine has been known to hold 15+ psi no problem as long as you have a good computer to get a good tune. These engines are incredibly resilient if tuned properly. Your's being an 03 you have a better head gasket than the pre-01 trucks, so you shouldn't need to worry about the head gasket until you start tipping over 10lbs of boost or so. If you're willing, you can do head gasket and head studs and be good to support somewhere near 20psi (as long as you can tune it). I've had a boosted 2rz since April 2012, so tons of experience, let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the manual trans, then somewhere below 400 crank torque. I daily'd 5psi on the stock W59 5-speed and bone stock rear end until I upgraded to the W58, which is the same case basically but different ratios. I am now at 22lbs of boost, beating the **** out of the truck and racing it in autocross, and the W58 and stock 7.5 rear end with 4.11 gears and Detroit Tru-Trac LSD handle it no problem. My engine is built now, did that back in 2018, but the stock engine has been known to hold 15+ psi no problem as long as you have a good computer to get a good tune. These engines are incredibly resilient if tuned properly. Your's being an 03 you have a better head gasket than the pre-01 trucks, so you shouldn't need to worry about the head gasket until you start tipping over 10lbs of boost or so. If you're willing, you can do head gasket and head studs and be good to support somewhere near 20psi (as long as you can tune it). I've had a boosted 2rz since April 2012, so tons of experience, let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
What about the A44D auto transmission? How much can it handle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do people usually do for tuning on turbo setups? My truck is a 96 so it's a distributer motor. I've read some about the pink top injectors, I'm seriously considering a turbo setup on my buggy, that or a 1UZ swap. It could really use some extra power to turn the 43" tires. I tried to PM you but I just made the account so it won't let me. I know about wrenching and fab but the only vehicles I've messed with tuning on are diesels. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I currently use an AEM FIC 6 which is a piggy controller. But it's really only good from half throttle to full throttle. The haltech standalone ECU seems like a pretty good option but it's really pricey. Eventually, I plan to run a speeduino standalone.

Pink tops came in the 2000.5 through 2004 trucks. They are good for about 7psi max. I ran them for a while but eventually upgraded because now I'm pushing 22ish psi of boost.

You could theoretically run pink tops and the smallest wastegate spring you can find (which is normally 4.8psi) and basically just bolt-on 60 hp with almost infinite room to grow.

Reactions: Enola Gaia

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a 1996 and planning the LCE kit but wondered about the automatic and power on 2.4. I would like to be around 400 and was wondering if anyone has adapted a 4l60/80 to the 2rz.
not sure anyone on here has done it. Looks like ATF and LCE sell the adapter plate for a Chevy trans to 2/3RZ. They list it as 350/400 but pretty sure the 4l80 is the same bolt pattern. You will need to figure out how to control the 4l60/80e though. Also converter clearance and flex plate.

Personally, when I revive my ‘97 5spd I’m going to do a T56 w/ S1 sequential shifter. Expensive but will be a lot of fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts