Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puting 36 inch tires on my 2004 toyota tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder and need to know how much it will cost to have a shop regear my rear to 4.88 gear ratio. I have no clue how to do it because if I did I would do it myself.
Paul

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts
I know that in Hawaii a regear is about $1000 for parts and labor.

The regear kit should cost about $300-450. It depends on what brand and which kits you buy.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
if it's just the rear figure 600 and 800 on the high end. Less if you bring in the 3rd to them and they don't have to pull it for you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would personally recommend going with 5.29s. . . . I'm running 37"s with 5.29s and a V6 and it still feels bogged down compared to when it was stock. . .I debated between 5.29s and 4.88s for a long time and I'm definitely glad I went with 5.29s. . . .

Oh yeah, and the regear for the rear was $230 gears & seals + $100 labor at Inchworm. . . .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Revivalist said:
I would personally recommend going with 5.29s. . . . I'm running 37"s with 5.29s and a V6 and it still feels bogged down compared to when it was stock. . .I debated between 5.29s and 4.88s for a long time and I'm definitely glad I went with 5.29s. . . .

Oh yeah, and the regear for the rear was $230 gears & seals + $100 labor at Inchworm. . . .
That's odd..per this, 5.29s are a little short for a 37" tire..maybe it's because your tires weigh so freakin much. :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, I know. . . I must of looked at about 7 of those tables and they all say the same thing -- that I'm supposed to go with 4.88s. . . . But all I can say is that for some reason even 5.29s are giving me a slight lag. Before I used to be able to punch the gas and skirch my wheels. It's almost impossible to skirch my wheels now . . . Granted when I punch it I do feel a nice boost, but not the same as when everything was stock. . .

Of course, I have to admit that there are a lot of factors that go into this. For example, I switched from all-terrains to mud-terrains which probably have more traction and prevent skirching. . . .I also have more weight due to heavier tires like you said, dual t-cases, rock sliders, and a front axle. . . So overall the truck has to push a lot more . . .

I guess it all comes down to your application. . . . For pgrah1986, try to your best to predict how you'll want your truck to end up so that you don't have to regear again later. . . For example, if you think that eventually you'll move to 37s, add nerf bars or rock sliders, put an aftermarket bumper or bumper guard, or maybe even go with dual t-cases. . . all that extra weight is going to make a difference. Especially with a 2.7, 4cyl.. . . I figured I would just do it all in one shot so I don't waste money later. . . .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Revivalist said:
Where's Inchworm? Did the price above for the labor include pulling the 3rd member out? How current is this pricing?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I regeared to 4.88's and I'm only running 33's on my 4-Runner. I would go with 5.29's also especially with the 4-banger running 36's. I did an internet special at Randy's ring and pinion when I bought my Yukon gears. It was close $800 by the time I paid a shop to install them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It was around 1000$ parts and labor here in utah. But i did help the shop do the work. I agree you will want 5.29's for the 36's and the 2.7. I have 35's with 4.88s and the charger+ urd kit. You have to remember all the extra weight from the tires, lift, and wheels. And the added wind drag from the extra hieght that will be needed to fit those tires. RED

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey its mike with the big black yota from around where you live...we met at sheets about a month ago. i took my truck to pj's shop right after you pass owens on the left of 460...his shops on the right. he said he would charge me 600 to do the front and rear gears on my truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts