Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I was curious to know how many quarts do you generally pour into your 2RZ (engine oil) ?
I myself pour in about 4 3/4....just a tad less than 5. The reason behind that-I try to decrease the stress on the oil pump. Does any of you put a bit less, or more ? Any issues ?

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firdaddy said:
i nofmzlly use 5 i think but i have to fill up the turbo as wel.. so as i recall before turbo it ewas anywhere between 41/2 to 5:waytogo:
Thanks Chris (Fridaddy) to answer my question.....1/8 not a bad ratio....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
yeah i dump about 4.5-5quarts also. i think we need a better dip stick sometimes the oil is pretty damn clear i cant really tell if its full or not. and sometimes when i check the oil still looks pretty clean but when i take the drain plug out its freaking dark brown.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The manual says 5.8 qts. All I can fit is 4.5. I don't know why we have this discrepancy.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Alex B. said:
I myself pour in about 4 3/4....just a tad less than 5. The reason behind that-I try to decrease the stress on the oil pump. Does any of you put a bit less, or more ? Any issues ?
Huh? How does pouring in a little bit less oil decrease the stress on the oil pump? Please explain... The oil pump is always pumping oil. Decreasing the oil viscosity will decrease stress on the oil pump but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better for the engine.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zero4 said:
Huh? How does pouring in a little bit less oil decrease the stress on the oil pump? Please explain... The oil pump is always pumping oil. Decreasing the oil viscosity will decrease stress on the oil pump but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better for the engine.
Yeah, I understand where you come from !
My understanding is that : the more oil you have in the engine, the harder the oil pump has to work in order to push the oil thru bearings, journals and what not....that's why I asked...
On the other hand, the less oil you have, the less stress the oil pump undergoes...am I correct ?
I didn't mentioned viscosity (assuming everyone, or at least the majority is using 5/30)....I know that viscosity does play a role in how forcefully the oil pump works...

·
damn
6,533 Posts
sputnik767 said:
The manual says 5.8 qts. All I can fit is 4.5. I don't know why we have this discrepancy.
2rz is a 4cyl

the 5.8 goes in the v6:waytogo:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Alex B. said:
Yeah, I understand where you come from !
My understanding is that : the more oil you have in the engine, the harder the oil pump has to work in order to push the oil thru bearings, journals and what not....that's why I asked...
On the other hand, the less oil you have, the less stress the oil pump undergoes...am I correct ?
I didn't mentioned viscosity (assuming everyone, or at least the majority is using 5/30)....I know that viscosity does play a role in how forcefully the oil pump works...
im not an expert by any means, but i think you might be wrong. shouldnt the oil pump only push so much through, regardless of how much is in the motor? i mean, the pump is only so powerful, and only has so much room in it, and the routing through the motor. i would think the only thing that would affect the flow of the oil pump would be the viscosity of the oil as mentioned, and maybe if there wasnt enough oil in the motor, and the sump wasnt fully submersed. i dunno, just my 2 cents.

p.s. i use about 4.5 usually

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
tacoma13 said:
im not an expert by any means, but i think you might be wrong. shouldnt the oil pump only push so much through, regardless of how much is in the motor? i mean, the pump is only so powerful, and only has so much room in it, and the routing through the motor. i would think the only thing that would affect the flow of the oil pump would be the viscosity of the oil as mentioned, and maybe if there wasnt enough oil in the motor, and the sump wasnt fully submersed. i dunno, just my 2 cents.

p.s. i use about 4.5 usually
Apparently alex's mom forgot to give him his medicine earlier today-
Reducing stress on the oil pump by under filling the sump is the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. :looney:

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
blown01-s-runner said:
Apparently alex's mom forgot to give him his medicine earlier today-
Reducing stress on the oil pump by under filling the sump is the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. :looney:
See "Professor"...there are constructive answer, like Tacoma13...who is 20 years old...and then there are NOT so constructive comments/ answers...like yours....see the problem ? You're 36 years old ! Aren't you ashamed of yourself ?....you're almost twice as old as the other kid, and you still pick on people like you know it all !
AGAIN (I asked a simple question)....if I am wrong, that's fine...I just asked....you seem to be NEVER wrong by the way you look down at people....
The problem is that you're 36 years old, and still think you know it all...:rolleyes:
BTW blown01-s-runner: I didn't say "under filling" the sump, I said: "pour between 4.5 to 5 quarts"...that is NOT "under filling" the sump...:rolleyes:
Thanks Tacoma13 for your answer :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
you gonna take out the tranny and diff oil so they don't work so hard either? don't forget the coolant too.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Alex, the oil pump will pump oil at the same rate as long as the oil level is high enough to cover the pickup tube. When you drink through a straw, is it any harder to drink when your glass is full than when your glass is nearly empty? Same principle applies here.

Spyder: I'm pretty sure the manual specifies 5.8 qts for the 2RZ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts