Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 tacoma and I would like to intall the 110 v outlet in the bed. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) Are you talking about installation of Toyota factory components or something from the aftermarket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After market products would be fine. I've checked a little further and it appears I could just use a power inverter plugged into the lighter plug just as well. Do you know if that would cause any problems to run a skill saw or an air compressor?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
The first thing to do is to determine how many watts output you need on the AC (115V) side. This means you have to determine:

- what all you might end up running off the inverter, and
- what are the wattage requirements / specs for each of those expected items

The optional OEM power inverter on 2005+ Tacomas (at least up through 2018) is rated for 400W.

In past years, there have been complaints that the 400W the OEM inverter supports isn't enough for some tools and even some small compressors.

As a result, some CT-zens swapped out the OEM inverter for a higher-capacity aftermarket unit, and those who were adding an aftermarket unit (no OEM unit installed) chose to use ones rated for 800W - 1000W.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the factory inverters are still mounted underneath the rear section of the center floor console (between the front seats).

There's a reason for this ... The DC side of the wiring (to the generator / alternator) should be kept as short as possible.

The wiring length on the AC (output) side isn't an issue. However, the AC line needs to be relatively hefty (heavy-duty). (In other words, don't use dinky 12V auto wire.) One common tactic is to simply buy a good quality extension cord and cannibalize it to use as your AC line (plug it into the inverter; run it to wherever your outlet / socket is mounted; cut off excess).

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Since the inverter needs to be 'forward' (i.e., presumably in the cab) you need to decide up front whether you want to have an AC outlet inside the cab in addition to a single socket in the rear / bed.

You mentioned using an aftermarket inverter running off the power outlet in the cab. This implies you're willing to force yourself to have a door open when you use the inverter. If that suits you, your AC outlet could be installed inside the cab. If you want the option of sockets in both the cab and the bed, it's possible to have both, but this naturally makes for more wiring on the output / AC side.

There's also the issue of where you want to put the bed outlet / socket and what you'll have to do to permanently mount it.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
The best-documented aftermarket inverter install write-up that comes to mind is the 2010 one from CT-zen superchiem:

https://www.customtacos.com/forum/15-interior-audio-electronics/146648-aftermarket-inverter-oem-look.html

That install was on a friend's FJ, but the basic points and issues will be the same for you.

The remote-linked photos he provided have gone MIA within his posts, but I'd gone back and re-posted them as attachments so they wouldn't be lost. You can click on the attachments to see the photos that are missing from the bodies of his posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts