Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced their hood vibrating when your Tacoma is standing still while on? My hood is starting to rattle more. Is there something that can be done? It's quite annoying.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think this os a normal thing, mine is an automatic and it shakes pretty good in the middle rear. Is your making noise? Let me know if so, there may be an adjustment that can be made.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Really? I though it was because it wasn't fixed right after my accident. Anyway, I don't even notice it and it doesn't do any harm.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Never Noticed it. .but my MSD Box makes hella noise... but passenges say is sound tough?? I guess? Plus I have hood pins.. I think that will help it from rattliing???

·
Registered
311 Posts
So I think we have a verdict, Taco hoods shake a bit, if they rattle in the front at the latch you can turn your bumpers up a bit to make for some tension.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My hood shakes and makes noise at the side that is by the windshield wipers. Not the front, but the back of the hood. Anything that I can do to stop it? It makes this noise at idle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Check to see if the bolts are all tight, there is four 14 mm bolts underneath, aside from that without seeing it is hard to figure out. I would say to bring it to the dealer and see if it may be a warranty issue, I LOVE warranty.

G

·
I too had the same problem with my 02 taco.
I am a body repair tech at a high end collision repair shop.
I found that the hood fit a little loose at the rear (wiper side). to fix you will need to open hood, grab the back edge of the hood(while reaching over motor compartment) with one hand. place other hand on front edge of hood near the support rod. Now GENTLY but very firm pull bottom of hood towards you. ( Dont be a dummie here and bend your hood in half). You want to SLIGHTLY bow the back edge of the hood.
I hope this helps everybody.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mark, if you pull the hood underneath like that it will make the back edge of your hood lower than the top of your fenders. You can't lower the back of your fenders. I think this is not something that someone outside of bodyshop should try, the hood mount area is high strength steel. Another possible solution is to see if you can put some shims underneath the plastic cowl to give a tighter seal to the hood rubber, no possible hood bending or sheet metat fitment problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have an 02 and no shakes on the hood...also just got my truck back from the repair shop because of an accident..they had to replace the hood and this one doesnt shake either..i dunno

G

·
Woogie
you only want to pull the center. The bow should be so slight it will not change the fender lines. The shims may work for you too. All the bend does is make the back edge fit tighter to the weatherstrip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the issue is just due to cheaply manufactured hinges. I myself had some custom hinges built to eleviate the problem. Wanted something a little different for show purposes also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't beleive that the hinges would be a problem, I also work in a high end collision center, which mainly serves Toyotas, and chevs. In my experience there has been very little problem with Toyota hinges. Toyota has very good quality as far as auto manufacturers go. Mark's hood adjustment should also work but I would be very cautious with this because it would be easy to put a kink into the hood this way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts