Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys made your own mesh grille inserts? I finally decided to make mine today and installed it earlier. It looks great and I was just wondering if anyone else had ever tried it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but I don't have any pics just yet. I need to buy a digital camera. Gimme a week or so and maybe I can get some pics up.

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
first off, welcome to the site.
That sound pretty awesome, I have thought of doing something like that myself, but I don't know how I will cut the metal. I mean, a hack saw will not look too nice, and I have no metal working equipment...

How did you go about doing it?
Actually, that would make a great tech write up

·
Registered
543 Posts
I bought some concrete mesh for mine. I wanted to cut out the plastic peices in the grill and install the mesh behind it. I broke one of the connecters pulling my grill off, but I never got it off, lol, I gave up, it was too cold outside. I thought some tin-snips to cut it, and epoxy to fasten it to the plastic, don't know how good it'll work, but that's my grill plan.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
If I had your generation tacoma, I would change the 2wd grill to the 4wd. It is a direct swap and it looks much better. You could also do the 4x4 bumper and valance.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I did this to my truck. All you need is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some gutter gaurd mesh only a couple of bucks, take the grill out and place it on the back of the grill and cut trim where necessary and zip tie together. I think this mod has been on the TTORA site thats where I saw it. Sorry but I have no pics.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know Aldo, that is a really great idea. The main reason for me doing it this way for now, is the fact that I got shafted at my job Friday (www.adtran.com) so as of right now I am kinda outta work. But my buddy started a business so I am going to work with him. The mesh is cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. I used the snips I have from cutting vinyl siding (called Andy snips). I cut out the inserts, hot glued wire ties to the actual fiberglass back, and when I inserted the pieces, I pulled the ties through the top holes and cinched them down. Then once I cut them off that was it. Can't see the ties at all. My truck is 100% black so it looks really good. I do plan to buy a chrome pre-runner (I think) grille and one day do the bumper swaps. My fiance's dad owns a body shop so it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i made one for my accord a while back. i just got the material from a local hardware store cut it with a dremell and tin snips after i drew a template with the grill i removed and then painted it gunmetal grey. it came out pretty good. i still need a better way to secure it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts