Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Animal Mother
4,162 Posts
I remember back in the day I had a phat Dennon that didn't have an internal amp.... I'll be honest with you, I havent heard of any in the recent days.....
It appears newer amplifiers can drop the signal down and reamplify it easier then in the past, hence for the lack on non-amp head units.
The only real reason I remember wanted a head unit like that was to avoid any distortion coming from the amp, but lately it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
neither my McIntosh or Denon has onboard amps...

however, it does not really matter. for the last 7-8 years, stereo companies have been using Signetics Thompson TDA amp packages, or the Toshiba clones.

the RCA preamp outputs are actually pulled directly before the amp chip... the only difference in a non amped head unit, is the amp chip is eliminated. a lot of times, they use the same main boards, with the parts not put in for the non amped units. there is zero difference in your RCA preamp output, amped unit or not.

i have converted amped units to non amped... but it's really not nessessary. a non used modern amp only pulls milli amps, and only produces minimal heat.
dave

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
A guy on DIYmobileAudio.com is selling an almost new DRZ9255 for $500. That's a deal!
Yeah, but look for a thread by AmocaT where he bought an Alpine unit that was almost brand new, and it didn't work.
He got his money back, and as far as I know he still has the HU since the guy didn't send a call tag.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping you would chime in Dave.

My setup is going to be a Carver M-240 with a set of 6.5" Polk Signature Reference comps. I just need a recommendation with which H/u's to look at for the best quality of sound.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
trdeu4ia said:
I was hoping you would chime in Dave.

My setup is going to be a Carver M-240 with a set of 6.5" Polk Signature Reference comps. I just need a recommendation with which H/u's to look at for the best quality of sound.
i've been soooo busy...

Nice Amp !!! i just sold... err... gave away my Carver
M4120 for $225...

got tired of kicking the thing because it was in the way constantly... it was tough to let it go, but a very good audiophile grade customer needed it... ( $8k this month ) if i ever need an amp to replace it, i dont know what can do it...
you are going to love your amp !

as far as head units go... since you mention $300... i dont know. one of the cleanest units out there around that price are the Pioneer DEH P860MP and the DEH P880PRS... in fact, the suprise about them, were they tested cleaner than any Alpine, Eclipse, etc, under $600. thats exactly why i have one in my "beater" system in my SR. ( thats saying something, as i have my choice of any head unit in the world )

can you come up with the extra $200 for the Clarion DRZ9255 mentioned above ? if i diddnt have my McIntosh MX5000, Denon DCT Z1, and my Sony CDX C90, thats the unit i would use.

want a DCT Z1 ? i dont know the seller, and i dont buy out of the USA, but this one is sitting very low... wonder if it will go for under $2000...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-DENON-Z1-DUAL-24bit-DACs-Only-1000-produced_W0QQitemZ230040897121QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3293QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the seller is right... the RFX8250 is not the same unit despite what some people claim... i've seen inside both side by side.

let me look around. may be able to find something good, but $300 is tough.
dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know alpine made one a couple years back, but nothing really that i would know of in the 300 range i believe that alpine was around 500

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
mcgrath609 said:
I know alpine made one a couple years back, but nothing really that i would know of in the 300 range i believe that alpine was around 500
CDA 7998... but an Alpine is not going to do that amp justice. no 1 bit DAC unit will.
dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts