Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year after looking for months I finally found a nice little low mileage one owner Tacoma ext cab 2 WD. It was in Ohio. After having not checked out I had it brought down here to me in East Tn. Great little truck. Original 69,000 miles on it. Had the frame inspected, no rust what so ever. Now the problem. Driving yesterday to town when I hit the brakes I instantly heard a hard grinding and felt it in the steering wheel in my butt and in my hand controls. ( in a wheelchair, paralyzed) I also heard it on the front right. First thought was brake pad had exploded. Anyway drove home very slow. Got it on the rack and everything and I mean everything from rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, are completely junked corrupted rusted through from Ohio salt. Everything the whole brake system has to be replaced to the master cylinder. Toyota parts are crazy high esp calipers. What brand parts would y’all recommend for a man on a budget. Not looking for the cheapest parts, but good parts that are not $400 a pice for calipers from Toyota. Thx in advance. I’m new to the Toyota world. Always had Chevy before and still also driving a Duramax now.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,864 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Have you looked into the comparative cost of rebuilt / remanufactured calipers? Rebuilding calipers is labor-intensive, so I don't know how much can be saved by going that route.

·
Registered
2014 TRD Offroad
4 Posts
Last year after looking for months I finally found a nice little low mileage one owner Tacoma ext cab 2 WD. It was in Ohio. After having not checked out I had it brought down here to me in East Tn. Great little truck. Original 69,000 miles on it. Had the frame inspected, no rust what so ever. Now the problem. Driving yesterday to town when I hit the brakes I instantly heard a hard grinding and felt it in the steering wheel in my butt and in my hand controls. ( in a wheelchair, paralyzed) I also heard it on the front right. First thought was brake pad had exploded. Anyway drove home very slow. Got it on the rack and everything and I mean everything from rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, are completely junked corrupted rusted through from Ohio salt. Everything the whole brake system has to be replaced to the master cylinder. Toyota parts are crazy high esp calipers. What brand parts would y’all recommend for a man on a budget. Not looking for the cheapest parts, but good parts that are not $400 a pice for calipers from Toyota. Thx in advance. I’m new to the Toyota world. Always had Chevy before and still also driving a Duramax now.
What year is the Tacoma?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I haven't had any problems with parts off rockauto.com. I try not to buy the cheapest, and only go with denso specific if it's a particular item. But for the most part, the parts are made to OEM specifications so they're all about the same.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,739 Posts
Rockauto.com is your friend.
Here is a 5% off code..

Put this in the "How did you hear about us"

I would recommend using nycop lines.
They will never rust and easy to work with.

I recommend doing new callipers, pads, softlines, hardlines, bearings and seals..

That's probably about all you would need...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a big believer in OEM parts. There are a number of on-line dealerships that discount OEM parts. Not sure what year Tacoma you have, but I did a search for calipers for a 2010 and see they're $115 ea. OEM rotors are $51. Of course, unless one if these on-line dealers are in your area, you have shipping on some rather heavy pieces.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rockauto.com is your friend.
Here is a 5% off code..

Put this in the "How did you hear about us"

I would recommend using nycop lines.
They will never rust and easy to work with.

I recommend doing new callipers, pads, softlines, hardlines, bearings and seals..

That's probably about all you would need...
My buddy is looking at this 2003 Tacoma Ext cab 2WD and it seems to need a brake job as well. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler this week before we can take a closer look.Gonna consider the nycop lines.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,739 Posts
I'm a big believer in OEM parts. There are a number of on-line dealerships that discount OEM parts. Not sure what year Tacoma you have, but I did a search for calipers for a 2010 and see they're $115 ea. OEM rotors are $51. Of course, unless one if these on-line dealers are in your area, you have shipping on some rather heavy pieces.

Good Luck
One thing I've found over the years is that OEM isn't always the way to go..
Maybe if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, sure..

Brakes, you can't go wrong with Centric brand for rotors, high iron content...
calipers, I've had OEM fail right out of the box, luck of the draw..
I'd trust a good use caliper over most aftermarket/reman..

About the only thing I wont skimp on are sensors..
MAF, 02, Knock, water, speed, ect.. Only OEM on those..
Or at least Denso Brand which is Toyota mfg..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts