Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
UPDATE:
I finally got around to uninstalling my alarm system and it fixed one of the problems. I can now start the truck without the code reader plugged in.

PROBLEM that still exists is that when I turn the truck on the check engine light stays on very faintly and slowly goes away. Anyone have any idea why? And it also isn't on before I shut it off either.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,867 Posts
(1) Hook up your code reader, and start the engine.

(2) Check to see if any codes are displayed while the CEL is faintly 'on'.

(3) Once the engine is warmed up and the CEL goes off, check again to see if any codes are displayed.

(4) Report the results back here.

I'm guessing the CEL circuit is temporarily shorting to ground somewhere (until things get warm and the connection is broken), but I have no idea whether the fault is inside the ECM versus the wiring leading to / from it.

Unless you can pinpoint a specific wiring glitch, I'm not sure you'll be able to fully diagnose it without a Toyota tester unit.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
(1) Hook up your code reader, and start the engine.

(2) Check to see if any codes are displayed while the CEL is faintly 'on'.

(3) Once the engine is warmed up and the CEL goes off, check again to see if any codes are displayed.

(4) Report the results back here.

I'm guessing the CEL circuit is temporarily shorting to ground somewhere (until things get warm and the connection is broken), but I have no idea whether the fault is inside the ECM versus the wiring leading to / from it.

Unless you can pinpoint a specific wiring glitch, I'm not sure you'll be able to fully diagnose it without a Toyota tester unit.
No codes on startup, or any time.

The only other electrical glitch I have is that if my cab fan is on when I shut the truck off it still stays on, but when you switch it off you cant turn it back on until you turn the truck on again.

Can I just take it to a dealership to hook it up to a Toyota tester unit?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,867 Posts
OK ... That means there's an electrical glitch involving the CEL circuit, 'cause it's lighting up slightly even when the ECM hasn't thrown a code.

I still think it's a wiring fault (short / disconnect / ground), and it's probably somewhere in the vicinity of the left lower dash or left kick panel wiring and / or connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I finally fixed it! I tried to figure out what other wiring could possibly be at fault. It was my cigarette lighters! I have spliced those wires for power so many times I can't remember. I cut them off and re-soldered it all and now it works!
No check engine lights, no air bag lights, no fans after shut off. I'm pretty happy and I finally get my truck back to normal.

And Josh Taco went on modding happily ever after. :D

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,867 Posts
Glad you found the culprit! :evil: :waytogo:

·
Registered
1 Posts
**** this is from 2012 i need to piggyback for a low voltage problem I’m having on my Taco.
Causing there to not be 12 volts at the crank position sensor.
My effected areas share the same connector on the ecm.
Map sensor
Crank sensor
Cam pos sensor

·
Registered
215 Posts
**** this is from 2012 i need to piggyback for a low voltage problem I’m having on my Taco.
Causing there to not be 12 volts at the crank position sensor.
My effected areas share the same connector on the ecm.
Map sensor
Crank sensor
Cam pos sensor

okay..
what are the specifics of your Tacoma? Year, engine, drivetrain, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE:
I finally got around to uninstalling my alarm system and it fixed one of the problems. I can now start the truck without the code reader plugged in.

PROBLEM that still exists is that when I turn the truck on the check engine light stays on very faintly and slowly goes away. Anyone have any idea why? And it also isn't on before I shut it off either.
could you explain to me where ground IE is exactly. the wiring Diagram I got from this forum say "Around the Right Edge of the Reinforcement" what do they mean by this? My Blower and Resistor have burned out once already, and after a week the second resistor is on its way out already. I was told it could be a bad ground. thanks.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,867 Posts
'Reinforcement' refers to the structural reinforcement (bar, piece) that supports the dashboard. It's up underneath / behind the dash.

Ground point IE is behind the lower dashboard panel (the panel in which the glove box is mounted) on the right / starboard / passenger side, right up against / on the passenger side sidewall.

In other words ... It's behind the dash panel, below the passenger side air vent and to the right of the glove box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'Reinforcement' refers to the structural reinforcement (bar, piece) that supports the dashboard. It's up underneath / behind the dash.

Ground point IE is behind the lower dashboard panel (the panel in which the glove box is mounted) on the right / starboard / passenger side, right up against / on the passenger side sidewall.

In other words ... It's behind the dash panel, below the passenger side air vent and to the right of the glove box.
Thank you

41 - 52 of 52 Posts