Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my new to me 97 taco. I am wanting to keep stock height but get a but more "spirited " drive. I noted my shocks are pretty soft (older kyb excel g - good for a car like ride when new) and my rear springs look dearched. I think it has carried this shell for 25 years. With keeping it stock height, what are my options? I'm thinking kyb mono max shocks, but what else? What's out there for reasonable cost? Whays the cheapest way to deal with rear springs? I'm just thinking aloud now. And appreciate the creative input

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
Do you intend to keep the shell / canopy on the bed? Its weight can make a difference, depending on which sort(s) of "spirited-ness" you're aiming for. If you're focused on spry get-up-and-go you might want to shed its weight (but you'll have to put up with a more skittish rear half). If you're focused on handling, its weight can help keep the rear end settled down.

The main thing that concerns me (in your description) is the soft rear suspension. I'd say new / stiffer shocks are the first step no matter what else you decide. In any case, it seems to me you can't finally evaluate the rear springs situation until you decide whether the shell stays and see how it sits with the new rear shocks.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you intend to keep the shell / canopy on the bed? Its weight can make a difference, depending on which sort(s) of "spirited-ness" you're aiming for. If you're focused on spry get-up-and-go you might want to shed its weight (but you'll have to put up with a more skittish rear half). If you're focused on handling, its weight can help keep the rear end settled down.

The main thing that concerns me (in your description) is the soft rear suspension. I'd say new / stiffer shocks are the first step no matter what else you decide. In any case, it seems to me you can't finally evaluate the rear springs situation until you decide whether the shell stays and see how it sits with the new rear shocks.
I'm planning on keeping the shell. I was looking and it happen to have one and they are like 500$used and I kinda like the streamline look it gives. I'm looking at some monomax shocks but I am at a loss on the spring setup. Gonna run on these wheels and I know loosing some sidewall will assist in my level of control. The springs I am debating a stock type replacement but Deaver is not too far from my house but I know a custom leaf pac is like $600 or so.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your choice of new wheels. I am excited to see how this project will turn out.
Wheels are going to be painted black. There is enough damage on them to warrant repaint but not enough to splurge on professional refinish. My bro in law is bringing a pressure washer to start the clean up

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shoes done. Next is brakes as far as appearance is concerned

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Enola Gaia
Anyone know what size the bearing Caps are for the fronts? Can't find a listing. And if so. Is there a "short" option?
My wheel centers will not fit 😞

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
The center caps are one of those components Toyota never describes in any detail. In any case, they're usually marketed along with whatever aftermarket / alternative wheels one may use.

You never identified the wheels, so I have no idea what / whose center caps are supposed to fit up with them.

Did the wheels' OEM centerbore fit the taco hubs? Or were they modified to fit?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the wheel center caps. More specially the caps that cover the bearings to do a brake job. Did not find a direct listing even on dormanproducts.com

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
Sorry ... I misinterpreted your earlier post and thought you were referring to the center caps (what with adding alternative wheels and all ... ).

If I understand correctly, you mean the 5-lug grease cap (part number 43514-35010-86). This is the only one shown for 1995.5 - 2000 5-luggers. It's completely different from the 6-lug version.

I can't find anything about the grease cap's size.

I'm not sure what you might do to get the center caps to fit up. I doubt there's any reasonable way to trim or cut the grease cap. Would it be possible to trim or cut the wheel center caps to fit?

Reactions: pimpRunner

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I Crack into it I'll let ya know. Gonna check size and see if someone makes a shorter cap (if that would work)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts