Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove Yota's and Taco's for the first 17 years I had my license. In 2012 an uninsured motorist pulled out in front of me and killed my last Tacoma, a 98 extended cab 5 lug I had for 10 years.

Fast forward 9 years later, and me and my spouse both have Wranglers, They have a super clean 2015 Sport with 42k miles and I have a 2011 Rubicon with 51k miles l(both real jeeps not 4 doors). We need something better for road trips and something built with some semblance of quality.

Add on me helping my partner through Breast Cancer treatment: surgery, chemo and radiation. Now they want to say thank you, so they are on board with me ordering a Tacoma or 4Runner.

I am torn. I love both, but leaning towards an optioned out Tacoma TRD Off-road that I would slowly build.

We have 2 dogs, and I have back problems. I really want something I can spend all day driving and not be wiped out like I am on my Rubicon or was in my modded out Veloster Turbo.

I know the 4Runner rides better, but there isn't a 5th gen Tacoma with the faux Leather/Tex seats for me to plant my ass in to see how much better it is than the cloth seats.

Does anyone have any feedback? I don't do super hard off-road, more of just b road exploring and occasionally a little more. I would say I need a locker and will probably co super twin locking it. I will also get a shell for it.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,021 Posts
RE: Tacoma vs. 4Runner

The first questions to ask are how often you might carry more than 2 people, and how much you care how comfortable they are.

If you feel your back problems are a limiting factor you might consider the fact you could replace the driver's seat in either vehicle with a more comfortable and ergonomically-correct aftermarket seat (e.g., a Recaro unit designed for comfort rather than racing).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Tacoma vs. 4Runner

The first questions to ask are how often you might carry more than 2 people, and how much you care how comfortable they are.

If you feel your back problems are a limiting factor you might consider the fact you could replace the driver's seat in either vehicle with a more comfortable and ergonomically-correct aftermarket seat (e.g., a Recaro unit designed for comfort rather than racing).
Thanks for the response!

It's been years since I have had more than 1 passenger that wasn't a dog. We don't have kids, don't plan on it, and almost never drive anywhere with other people. Half the people we would meet someplace are gear heads who want to drive themselves, the other half would be people we are driving to meet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the response!

It's been years since I have had more than 1 passenger that wasn't a dog. We don't have kids, don't plan on it, and almost never drive anywhere with other people. Half the people we would meet someplace are gear heads who want to drive themselves, the other half would be people we are driving to meet.
Well how big are these doggie passengers? If they are like my two great Danes the Taco is a little small. The 4Runner will give you the interior space to take the pack somewhere in comfort. Now if they are normal size...the Taco will give you the options of stuff in the bed with the fur kids in the back seat. Oh and Enola's right, really bad backs deserve a custom seat. After a couple of operations I feel where you're coming from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding!

My doggos are medium sized huskies. A 45# and 75#, so not super huge.

I am about 95% see decided on the Tacoma. Just trying to really consider every angle since it's going to be double the most I have spent on a vehicle before.

I hurt my back in the chAir Force about 20 years ago. I have resisted doing much more beyond stretches and self medicating, but a custom seat should probably be in my future soon, and I would probably need 2 for when I am riding along. Just wish I could get insurance to pay for it.

I spent 12 years in construction, 4 years in the military, and another 6 in other physical ly demanding jobs and have finally been able to shift to something where I am sitting 90% of the time, thankfully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about 95% see decided on the Tacoma. Just trying to really consider every angle since it's going to be double the most I have spent on a vehicle before.
I hurt my back in the chAir Force about 20 years ago. I have resisted doing much more beyond stretches and self medicating, but a custom seat should probably be in my future soon, and I would probably need 2 for when I am riding along. Just wish I could get insurance to pay for it.
snaptube vidmate
I love my tacoma, I love the narrow body style. I wanted a truck for the mountains, not every truck has to pull a 18 foot trailer or carry a cow in the backseat.
98 here, 3.4L and 5 speed manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my tacoma, I love the narrow body style. I wanted a truck for the mountains, not every truck has to pull a 18 foot trailer or carry a cow in the backseat.
98 here, 3.4L and 5 speed manual
I drove 1st gen Tacomas from 1999 through 2012. Great little trucks, but not really up to what I want.

I ended up getting a 2015 GX460 and am very happy with it. Enough space for everything I need. Great engine, suffecient power, and the only option I couldn't get on it was a locking rear differential. So there will be some arbs in my future.

Eventually would love to get another 1st gen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts