Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to get my hands on a white face gauge cluster with the built in tachometer. It is for an automatic transmission truck, so I have to cover the light up part for park, neutral, drive etc. Despite having a mechanical speedometer, I can order the adapter from Marlin Crawler to get an electrical signal to power the electronic speedometer in the new cluster: https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/misc-hardware/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci

What I don't know is how to get the rest of the cluster working properly. I connected it (all the plugs are the same) but the wires are all different and the new cluster lit up and behaved all wonky. There was no tach signal (expected) and the fuel gauge read incorrectly. Would anyone happen to have the gauge cluster pinouts for a 96, manual transmission, speedometer only, cluster? Also, the pinouts for an 03, automatic transmission cluster with tachometer? I have the extra pins I would need, so I can repin my connectors and add wires as needed to make the new cluster work.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
Here (attached) are the 1996 factory wiring diagram and an illustration of the 1996 no-tach cluster connectors and connections.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
And ...

Here (attached) are the 2003 factory tach cluster wiring diagram and connector / connections illustration.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And ...

Here (attached) are the 2003 factory tach cluster wiring diagram and connector / connections illustration.
Awesome!!! Thank you Enola! You're the real Taco MVP! I always wonder how you find these things, do you have all the service manuals for all years?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
Awesome!!! Thank you Enola! You're the real Taco MVP! I always wonder how you find these things, do you have all the service manuals for all years?
Many years ago I made a point to capture and archive a lot of FSM materials from here and other online sites.

At one point (almost 15 years back) I paid the fee to access the Toyota data archives for 24 hours and spent most all that time downloading and organizing additional documentation. I prioritized filling in the biggest gaps in my existing collection, but I didn't have enough time to download everything. I did make a point to grab every year's Wiring Manual from 1995.5 through 2004 (the only Taco generation I give a rat's ass about ... ).

NOTE: If you get the chance to access materials from the Toyota data site, make a point to get the specifications, annual updates (New Features), and other auxiliary documentation in addition to the basic FSM stuff. Some questions can't be answered from the model year specific FSM's.

I'm not sure what one can get from their archives anymore, because Toyota got really restrictive about their factory documentation a decade or so ago.

I lost a number of files when my residence was destroyed by fire almost 7 years ago, but the laptop I escaped with held most of the original collection.

The 1998 - 2000 period is the sketchiest section in my collection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts