Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI:

The clamps / latches / hinges / whatever on the 1995.5 - 2004 XtraCab rear / quarter windows are notorious for failing.

Here's an alternative approach ... Replace the dinky plastic hinges with custom metal ones and solve it once and for all ....

http://www.jsimotorsports.com/index.php?A=products&D=parts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
sweet. i had to break my driverside one because i locked my keys in the truck this week the dealer wanted 35bucks just the stock pos plastic one haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the link, I need to replace this on my drivers side. Anyone know how replace these things? Do I need to remove the whole back panel to get to this?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, I need to replace this on my drivers side. Anyone know how replace these things? Do I need to remove the whole back panel to get to this?
The FSM instructs you to remove the quarter trim (rear side panel) to get at the quarter window parts. I'm not sure if you can get to the hinges without doing so ...

Here (attached) are some diagrams and the removal instructions (2001 - 2004 era) ...

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the similar FSM documents for the 1998 - 2000 era ... These documents indicate you can remove the lock without removing the rear side panel, but that you must remove the side panel to get at the hinges and dismount the glass itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced both of mine which have been broken for about a year and a half. My brother-in-law (a Toyota tech) showed me how to "cheat" by removing the top seatbelt attachments for both front and rear, then pulling the side molding down (firmly) just far enough away from the headliner and window to reach the two screws holding the latch bracket. The rear backrest and moldings need not be removed unless you want to fully remove the side molding. It's a tight fit with the molding bent down, but doable in about a half hour. Only gotcha is holding on to the screws until you get the first threads in. If they drop, to fetch them, you'll have to remove everything which sucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No need to remove and door panels.. here are my quick installation instructions.

(also have these in stock and ready to go)

Here is the way I installed mine. Only took about 8 min. Im sure there will be several ways in install them but this was the easiest for me.

First I got a dowel pin or a drill bit that was 1/8 (.125) in diameter. Doesn't matter what you use as long as it can take light tapping from a hammer.

Place the dowel pin or drill bit over the expanding pin inside the hinge and gently tap the expanding pin out. I did this with everything attatched to the window. You can also take the latch assembly off and do this away from the glass.

The expanding pin will fall out the bottom, so be sure and catch it or watch where it falls.

Do this procedure on both expanding pins. (one attach to handle and one attached to door.)

If you forgot how they go back on or your broken piece is too unreconizable, the smaller end goes into the slot on the door and the bigger end goes into the handle slot. The hinges will only go on one way, so if it doesn't fit, flip the hinge around.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
This pin may need to be crimped a little to get it to fit into the new hinge (plastic is forgiving, alumminum is not)

Once you figure out which side is which, place the expanding pin back on top of the hole and gently tap back in. Watch your fingers!

Once the pin is started, you may need to move the hinge around to get the holes to line up, then tap the pin in flush.

And repeat for other side.

Remember, there are no passenger/driver side pieces. both are identical. So flip the hinge around until it fits both slots.

Now you will have no worries when passangers open your windows!

Questions and comments are welcome.

-Josh-
[email protected]
JSIMotorsports.com

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great writeup, Josh! Thanks! ... :waytogo:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi--appreciate some help here

I've run into a little snag. I did ok with the expanding pin that goes on the latch. It was easy to remove the latch to do this. I am unable to get the other expanding pin out :brickknoc I am afraid to pound too hard as I don't want to break that whole piece of plastic that sticks out.. Any suggestions?

I am trying to do this on a window where the latch was already broken. The Toyota service dept. wants $242 to "replace right rear handle assembly." :jawdrop: And they would only put another piece of plastic back in. I have an 2004 ext. cab, and the directions make reference to the piece attached to the door. I don't have another door--I'm assuming you may be referring to models with the Access cab? Would my 04 extended cab be any different? In all the years I had my 95 my hinges never broke.
Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Sandy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Hi--appreciate some help here

bump for this.. I have called multiple times and left messages along with PM's to no avail. If anyone knows or can contact him I would appreciate it.
Hi voodootrip--I talked to Josh on 2/25. I finally got the aluminum hinges installed, but the latch won't quite "catch and lock." I had replaced the broken hinge first, :doah: and when this problem occurred, I decided to go ahead and replace the unbroken hinge to see if it would lock. But it wouldn't either :brickknoc I called Josh and he said he hadn't had any other reports like that and offered to send me another pair. But then when he found out I still had the "unbroken perfectly good," so far, :lol: he asked if I could send it to him so he could compare it with his aluminum ones and he would get back to me. So I sent it off to him on 2/26. I haven't heard anything back yet. Funny your post should appear, as I was planning on calling him this week if I didn't hear from him or get any new hinges in the mail. Hopefully I won't have your problem catching up with him. I will mention he is wanted on the CustomTacos Forum, OK?

Sandy

·
Registered
19 Posts

Im here, just been busy.

voodootrip- I have replied to every email I get. You sure you have my email correct? And I have no PM's. Here is my paypal: [email protected]sports.com Send $30 for the pair and I will get them shipped out ASAP.

Sandy, I measured your plastic piece and same dimensions as Aluminum pieces I have here. I will send you another pair.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts

Im here, just been busy.

Sandy, I measured your plastic piece and same dimensions as Aluminum pieces I have here. I will send you another pair.

Thanks,
Josh
Hi Josh, glad to hear business is good, if that is what you mean by busy. Sure hope new pair work. Will send you back other pair when I get new ones in. Thanks.

Regards,
Sandy

1 - 20 of 102 Posts