Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i decided to wetsand and buff my whole front end but i accidently buffed the same surface too long on one of my fenders. now the paint if burned and chipped off:brickknoc :brickknoc :brickknoc . i guess its time to buy some prerunner/4wd fenders. im thinkin of going to one of the san diego junkyards to pick up a pair. anybody know a good place where they have a lot of tacomas. and are the fenders the same for 97-04? will i have to get new corner lights?

i also scratched up my chrom bumper so i might buy a 4wd chrome bumper (without the signal lights) and mount it with my 2wd valance. if i do this i gotta hook up my corner lights to signals. anybody know how to do this? please help i wanna get this out of my garage asap. any local customtaco members wanna help me on the signal lights?

·
Registered
282 Posts
wow pix please :puke:

plz dont tell me you didnt use painters tape or something to cover up the sensitive areas like chrome n rubber!?! you must have used the wrong rpm? anything over 2000 rpm on a 1st timer is overkill. I'm glad i didnt come over to fux up your paint :p

·
Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
2,067 Posts
1 thing I've learned is that I'll never again try and paint/repair a piece of paintwork on my truck larger then a penny. Even the worst body shop over here did a better job then what I did.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i finished the hood with ease and i started on the drivers side fender, but i lost concentration because my back was killing me :rolleyes: .

quick question, are the prerunner fenders all the same size from 97-00 and 01-04?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Was this on the "red" truck..?:doah: The junk yards in my area have VERY few tacomas...There are a couple of 'em at Gallant Truck salvage in o-side, one's red and one's blue...I don't think the front fenders are good though. Their # is 760-433-4112...are we still on with your grille ?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Man around here you can't find one Tacoma in the junk yards.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
nope...i rarely find pre-tacos in the junkyard either!

·
Registered
854 Posts
To answer your question about sizes and years for fenders, You will need the 97-00 fenders. Either prerunner or 4x4, their both the same. And yes you will need new corner lights also. And I believe that someone did a mod for making the marker lights the turn signals also. Search and ye shall find that one. Good luck!

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Originally Posted by AsIaN tAcO
Man around here you can't find one Tacoma in the junk yards.

that's because tacoma's particularily toyota trucks are all bought up by shop specific dismantlers...

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
look on craigslist there are some that come up from time to time. and you can use the 01-04 fenders only the 2wd model. just cut off the headlight support on the fender

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
he can use any fender pre-05 he's loowing for the 4wd flared stocker fenders!

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
the 01-04 2wd came with the prerunner 4x4 style fenders. but on the 01-04 fenders on the prerunner 4wd models has holes for the flares. fyi

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont know what you guys are talking about. but i went to all the junkyards on ecology and main st. and found at least 5 shops that have tacoma parts. i was surprised to find a pair too. i bought my passenger side fenders with only 3 minor dents for 50 bucks and a perfect drivers side for 65.

i got one off of a 2000 pre runner. some guy told me the 97-00 and 01-04 flared fender stockers were different because of the size of the clear corner fitting.

good luck on finding your pair. because mines are the best condition :nana: j/p

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Part of the reason the junkyards on the east coast do not have alot of tacoma's lying around is they get shipped oversea's pronto.. The tacoma's are a widely sought after vehicle.. And these salvage yards get decent cash for one that is wrecked..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts