Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I changed out my stock taillights for new spyder ones with LED bulbs. Thos have been looking and working great. Now its the front turn since one headlight is starting to UV fade. I'm getting the spyder replacements with the thin led strip under them. (
)

So I bought the LED marker and turn signal lights already (I already have the proper anti-hyper relay for the turn signals). 2 questions:
1. Should I just go with standard 9003 bulbs, HID, or LED's? I know the LED's would require some load wiring. Pros/cons???
2. I was hoping to use an existing switch on my dash for the LED strip. The wires were used for fog lights a long time ago, so I dont want to hook them up and fry the LED's right off the bat. How should I proceed with this?
Thanks for any answers.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
2. I was hoping to use an existing switch on my dash for the LED strip. The wires were used for fog lights a long time ago, so I dont want to hook them up and fry the LED's right off the bat. How should I proceed with this? ...
Does each replacement lamp module have separate wiring / connections for the LED strip?

Did you get any installation / user guide documentation that specifies the load requirements for the LED strips?

How is it you want the LED strip to work? Automatically? If so - under what condition(s)? Manually? :shrug:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, i was thinking of using the switch to manually have them on/off but if the power is too much from those wires, I assume it will be easier to splice them into the running lights right next to the headlights. I dont have them yet, (xmas present).

It might be cool to have them blink with the turn signals, even coolor to alternate blink.. not that I have any idea how to do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After getting back from having a flat fixed, I spied a car with alternating led's as turn signals and wasnt impressed. I think i'll just wire them into the marker lights. Now that that's decided, any opinions on headlights? Anyone with LED's that likes them?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
I'm confused ...

I checked the Spyder website (http://www.spyderauto.com), and they don't currently list anything for a 2001 - 2004 Tacoma.

However, multiple of the larger online vendors list 2001 - 2004 units.

... So I can't really get any details on the units you've purchased. :shrug:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following up on this project.
The lights were bought from PTL: http://www.protuninglab.com/200120041.html

Pain in the a$$ getting them to fit since my front end has had a few accidents, I had to expand some mounting holes with a drill to get the headlights tilted low enough.

First set I got had an LED out (see pic) on the drivers side so I had to do an exchange. I wired them into a switch I had from some old fog lights. The only issue I have is that sometimes I forget that they are on. Is there light timer relay I can add to the wiring to turn them off # of seconds after the power is off?

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
They look nice ... :waytogo:

Just so I'm clear on the installation ('cause it doesn't seem to match your most recent post(s)) ...

You DIDN'T wire the LED's into the corner marker light or headlight circuits - right?

Here's the key question: How do you want the LED's to behave (as far as off / on actions)?

If you want them to be 'on' only when the market or headlights are 'on', you should be able to run a trigger wire from one of those circuits to trip a relay in the power feed to the LED's. The LED's would only come on when the triggering circuits' lights are on, and they'd die when the triggering circuit's lights were cut off.

I mention this because your 2002 Taco has an automatic light turn-off feature that kills any active lights a certain number of seconds after you park, turn off the engine, and exit the vehicle. If you trigger the LED power feed by a positive voltage signal from either of the circuits controlled by the automatic feature, the LED's will be turned off along with the OEM lights.

However ... If you continue to use the manual switch (and forget to switch it off ... ) the LED's will come on again as soon as you do anything that would activate either the corner marker or headlight circuits that triggers the power (via a relay) to the LED's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
correct, it was too easy for me to use the fog light wiring since it was already there and gave me a little more control over them. But i'd like them to turn off when the ignition is off or have a short delay. I never drive with the marker lights only on. I use them as DRL so they are on when the headlights are off during the day.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
Thanks for the clarification ...

Do you want the LED's to be capable of being 'on' when neither the marker lights or headlights are on?

If not, I'd suggest wiring the LED's off a relay triggered by whichever of the OEM circuits you'd like to control them.

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep the LED's on a separate switch unless you saw a need to activate them separately from either of the other lights.

Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As Daytime running lights, my headlights are NOT on. Only the LED's . Maybe instead of wiring up a timer relay, it would be easier to just power them on the ignition circuit? I'm really just looking for a timed switch so they turn off if I forget.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
Thanks for providing the final piece of the puzzle as to how you want all the lights to behave ...

The simplest thing would be to power the LED's off the main ignition circuit. The LED's won't activate unless the ignition switch is 'on', and the LED's will die whenever the ignition switch is 'off'.

I'm attaching the 2002 4-cylinder ignition wiring diagram.

The IF1 connector is located somewhere at or behind your left kick panel. That's probably the most convenient / accessible place to intercept the main ignition line and tie in a wire to your LED switch.

If it were me I'd be cautious and use a relay triggered by the juice off the ignition circuit and tap into something else to actually power the LED's.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
That will work - as long as you really want the time delay feature.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bonus, as part of removing the old sony disc changer i had, my LED DRL were using that as a power source (constant), so I wired them to the accessory wire instead and now they always go off regardless of the switch.
new PA rig..
115708303_10164503014320571_5770223879890880486_o.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts