Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to purchase front shocks too when the DJM 3/4 kit is purchased?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd HIGHLY suggest it, cause your gonna be front end heavy from the motor and your stocks'll be put to pressure's way past factory specs.... at least get the fronts.. rear will last for a month or so.....

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Flipping the ball joint is about 3 inches. If you put the 2 inch drop coils you will probably get aroud 1.5 to 2 inches. That is pretty low! I would just do the balljoints and then see if later on if you want to drop it more along with the back! Get some pictures up here when your done!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Flipping the ball-joints and adding blocks changes NOTHING about where your shocks are.. You still require stock length shocks. BUT, stiffer ones will control the ride better...

Springs (front or rear) WILL require shorter shocks. By doing those, you are affecting the resting length of the shock.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think if the springs are just an inch or so shorter than stock, you can use spacers & longer bolts on the lower shock mount, & keep the stock shocks. Why not just drop the shock mount as well?

·
Registered
73 Posts
1" springs shouldn't be a big deal... you could use the Tokico shocks that come stock on the S-Runner if you wanted to, as the S has 1" shorter springs.

I was referring to someone who is getting 3" springs.. you'd need shorter shocks for that, or your shocks would be begging to get whacked by something in the road.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
How is that? Your stock springs bolt to the same place as shorter springs. How would they get hit by something in the road?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was referring to extending the shocks out the bottom of the control arm to compensate for the coil spring being shorter, instead of buying shorter shocks. a 3" extension, if there is such a thing, would hang the bottom of the shock far below the control arm.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Gotcha, cause I had my stock shocks in for a while until I got the shorter ones and just had them bolted to the stock location. No need to change the mounting location. Wasn't sure why you said they would get hit by anything in the factory location.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Has anyone tried adjustable shocks up front? I'm thinking of getting some. I have 2" lowering springs up front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts