Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a factory problem with front brakes. i Get a vibration on the front brake when slowing down. I have cleaned the rotors and there is no vI ration for a while and then it is back again. 2001 2.4 extra cab factory condition

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
What sort of residue are you seeing on the front rotors? Dust? Grease? Brake fluid?

There are multiple problems that can cause excessive residue on the front rotors - leaks, sticky calipers, etc.

It might be that your front brakes are working harder than they should because the rear brakes aren't doing their share of the work.

What shape are your rear brakes in?

It's also possible there's a problem with your load proportioning valve (LPV) that's causing the rear brakes to not be engaged as firmly as they should.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What sort of residue are you seeing on the front rotors? Dust? Grease? Brake fluid?

There are multiple problems that can cause excessive residue on the front rotors - leaks, sticky calipers, etc.

It might be that your front brakes are working harder than they should because the rear brakes aren't doing their share of the work.

What shape are your rear brakes in?

It's also possible there's a problem with your load proportioning valve (LPV) that's causing the rear brakes to not be engaged as firmly as they should.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The load value was removed just brake line go to each wheel I jacked it up and they work

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
Unless you've installed and adjusted a manual proportioning valve to replace the LPV you removed your front brakes are doing all the work.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
How did you reconnect your brake lines after removing the LPV? The issue isn't so much whether the rear brakes work at all, but rather whether they're doing their share of the braking work.

Unless you invested some effort into getting the system re-adjusted after removing the LPV I'm pretty confident your front brakes are having to do most of the work.

The one way to find out for sure is to have a good shop test the system and see if the pressure at the rear is sufficient to distribute the braking workload.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you reconnect your brake lines after removing the LPV? The issue isn't so much whether the rear brakes work at all, but rather whether they're doing their share of the braking work.

Unless you invested some effort into getting the system re-adjusted after removing the LPV I'm pretty confident your front brakes are having to do most of the work.

The one way to find out for sure is to have a good shop test the system and see if the pressure at the rear is sufficient to distribute the braking workload.
@

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any one ever install a Adjustable Proportioning value on 2001 2 dr Tacoma

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so bear with me on this for I am certainly out of my leange with this stuff. Wright now I have one brake line from master cylinder to the two rear brakes. If I add an adjustable P. V.off the master cylinder wouldn’t I be restricting the flow to the bac brakes?

thanks you so much for your help

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
I honestly don't know.

You description of the setup confuses me. As far as I know your 2001 Taco should have had 2 lines running from the front to the LPV in the rear. Have they been replaced with a single line?

Brakes and hydraulics aren't my forte, so I'm not even sure what effect (if any) converting from dual lines to a single line may have caused.

There's another thing I hadn't mentioned before ...

Does your Taco have ABS? ABS was an option in 2001. I have no idea whether the situation would be affected or made more complicated with ABS in the mix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There two lines going back the return line has been disconnected. No ABS. It would see that adding a A.P.V. Would reduce pressure to the rear brakes. as they are now it is just a open line from the master cylinder the the rear brakes. I am haveing no lock up issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts