Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve previously used 04465-35070 pads (dull red with traditional round Toyota logo). I found some 04465-AZ109 pads that claim to also be compatible with my 1996 2WD regular cab. These have the name "Toyota" stamped on the backing plate and appear similar as far as shape, size, etc. A check with a dealer says they’ll fit. What’s the difference between the two?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,780 Posts
04465-AZ109 is the correct current part number according to Toyota.com.

04465-35070 was the original OEM part number shown on the parts lists from back in the late Nineties / early 00's.

It's not unusual for Toyota to change part numbers over time for legacy parts (on past model years) as they consolidate parts series or change specs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That’s kind of what I found too. I saw one listing that said they were for 99-04 but that didn’t make sense. I’ll try installing them and see how it goes. I’ve always used the 35070's but found these for $30 delivered so I bought them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
04465-35070 were pads made in Japan. The pads with 04465-AZ... are sourced from a U.S. supplier. Toyota started assigning U.S. parts a different part# to tell them apart and track quality, costs, etc. Same with oil filters, wiper blades, etc
Those early U.S. brake pads were terrible. Sounded like metal on metal. Nothing made them quiet. But nowadays they're fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
04465-35070 were pads made in Japan. The pads with 04465-AZ... are sourced from a U.S. supplier. Toyota started assigning U.S. parts a different part# to tell them apart and track quality, costs, etc. Same with oil filters, wiper blades, etc
Those early U.S. brake pads were terrible. Sounded like metal on metal. Nothing made them quiet. But nowadays they're fine.
Same complaint when my uncle replaced the 04465-35070 with 04465-AZ109 on his '99 Tacoma 2 years ago. He probably got the old batch he got from his neighbor who got it about 7 years now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts