Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

flipping the ball joints

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  slamdtaco 
#1 ·
is that what its called? but yeah is this safe to do? how reliable is this? can anyone who has done this tell me about it?

#4 ·
Its not hard to do , but you have to realize you aregoing to have to take it to an alignment to shop. Just take the spindle off the lower ball joint. Then take the lower b/j off the control arm. The outer bolts will beat out with a hammer. The inner ones are a different story. You are going to have get them pressed out or use a sladge hammer to get them out , as they are pressed in from the factory. Then mount the t/c rod on the control arm , then the sway bar bracket(note: your going to have to grind off the edge were the ball joint goes) and finally install the ball joints.The DJM instruction on this site show how to do this. How yeah , i don't why you would buy the djm kit, the alignment shop got mine back to factory specs with out the djm upper control arms.

See Ya dirk

#6 ·
Yeah, a shop can get it back to alignment, but the ride angle on your Upper Control Arms will be different, which puts more strain on the ball joints. That's what the DJM arms do, they are sized different to correct the angle, so the ball joints are stressed in the manner for which they were designed.

#10 ·
Yes, and once again, using lowering springs changes the angle at which the control arms rides and causes un-due stress on other parts...the only REAL way I've come across to lower the front end of a taco without putting more stress on it is to use adapted control arms to repair the adjusted alignment, and the DJM kit has got everything you need to do it right, maintain your ride quality, and keep your stock suspension geometry. I haven't done it yet, only had my truck a month, but after extensive research into the many different methods, this is the only way I will lower my front end. And for those that want bags, it's still a good idea to use this kit, as your pumped up ride height will sit real close the the level of the 3" drop, so the new control arms will still be aligning things properly when sitting at drive height. (hope to do this down the road too. :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.