Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a reasonable price for a 2000 2wd, 2.4, liter exstended cab with 89,000 miles on it A/C and Automatic cruise and tilt cd,and tape with new tires and a couple of minor dents in the cab that don't bother me. I have looked in auto trader and local paper but the difference is this one has a restored title from theft several years ago.
I think I can get it for 5k? Is this too much? I realize it may be difficult to sell at a later date because of the title, but if I buy right that shouldn't matter.

Also what to look for in terms of problems for the 2k 2wd taco 2.4. Other than it being a dog on the highway, it is just what I need. I used to have a 95.5 4x4 3.4L that was great but had no air and I built until it wasn't street legal then sold, so time to start over.

thanks
FNG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. KBB fair is 6000 so with your formula thats 4500. I found 3 on autotrader witin 300miles in my price range
1996 170k 2wd 5000
1996 2wd reg cab 4500

then the restored title one, which is looking like a better deal. maybe I'll wait a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now I plan to haul some appliances, I would consider a turbo some day, don't really have many plans, yet. I know that I will get tired of a N/a 4 cylinder, that is the main drawback and 2wd in the snow.

What should I look for?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
Laddy: I'm a little confused about going to a 2WD 2.4L 4-cylinder and then planning to 'haul some appliances'.

Why not look for a 1998 - 2000 PreRunner with the 2.7L 4-cylinder (and higher stance)?

Or ... From 1995.5 through 2000 there *were* 2WD V6 XtraCabs ....

:thinking:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
i would shy away from anything with a restored title. i think it's pretty close in line with a salvage title, which some insurance companies won't even go near. but, that's just my opinion :waytogo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price is the main consideration for the 2wd taco. If I had a 4x4 and I would probably end up modding it until I could no longer drive on the highway like last time.
The primary purpose will be comuting a short distance to work, but I am also remodeling and always in need of a truck, so I thought it would be nice to have one again, however the prices are steep in my neck of the woods for 4x4's and their aren't many 2wd to chose from.

I would like a 2wd v6 excab non prerunner, but I haven't seen any in my search, I didn't realize they were out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sold my car and need to make a purchase in the next couple of days, I think I got it narrowed down to two choices that meet my criteria (automatic, under 100k and cheap under 8000:

The restored 2000, 2wd, excab, 2.4, 89000, auto for $5000 couple of small dents in the cab. (still on the market, everyone is afraid of the title)

or

a 95.5, 2wd, reg cab, auto, 2.4, 51,000 miles just hit the market for $6,000

everything else thats local in my price range is either 150,000 miles plus or priced real high.

Which one should I get? What should I look for in regards to the 2.4 and the auto tranny? Any know problems to look for on the 2.4, recalls, pitfalls?

thanks
FNG

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
dropthattaco said:
i would shy away from anything with a restored title. i think it's pretty close in line with a salvage title, which some insurance companies won't even go near. but, that's just my opinion :waytogo:
My title is salvage and my insurance company (esurance) had no problem covering it with full coverage as long as it has been passed inspection they will cover it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Of the trucks you listed I would go with the 95.5 for 6k. As far as the 2.4 (2rz) is consered its pretty much bomb proof. Question: Whats up with all the autos, why not get a 5 speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my commuter, and I'm tired of the stick shift. I know it will be a dog with the auto, but I got to have my hands free for the cell phone and cheeseburgers.

any major changes from 95 to 2000 for the 2wd? passenger air bag, grille, interior any engine refinements (3.4 head gasket), spring changes (4x4 rear springs)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
if you go for the restored, do a full inspection of frame and body. gotta do your research. 2.4 is bulletproof

known problem cracked exhaust heat shield...possible manifold. sticky gas pedal (easy fix) may need timing chain fixed after 200k.

my taco has 123k...my heat shield just rattles a bit. i havent changed anything cept fuel filter cuz i got bored. oh and i changed my shocks after 110k stupid toyotas and their low maint.

acceleration sucks. can haul a good amount of stuff. brakes arent that hot. seats arent that comfy in the years before 01.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info so far.

Going to do a compression check today. Hopefully make a decision this week as long as my car sells on wednesday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts