Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on guys I wanted to know a couple of things before I started to dive into this.
1. What turbo kit
2. Injectors
3. Tune or do I need one
4. Do I need to mess with the internals with low boost on the 2rz I heard it was a tank.
I bought this truck to commute back and forth to work but I want to wake it up with a turbo then eventually when I get my diesel sold 05 6.0 deleted big turbo big injectors I’m going to get a new truck and put an Ls2 in the Tacoma.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did some reading last year on it. 6psi max on stock internals and ECU max. You’ll have to step up to the pink injectors or maybe a little bigger as they’ll be maxed out. May need to play with MAF housing to help fuel trims. Independent wide band is needed to monitor things. Cast manifold will last longer but cost more than the China stainless. There’s plenty of info and data available you just have to search and read a lot. I was considering a T3/t4 off of a smaller diesel but if you have the money there’s plenty of better ones. Need to weld a oil return line to the pan. A remote mount oil filter can be plumbed off to feed the turbo.

That 2fiddy would probably get better gas mileage though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Both the 2RZ/3RZ as well as the V6 5VZ-FE are good on stock internals (including the head gasket) up to 15 PSI. Over that you're running on borrowed time. The pistons, crank, entire bottom end is very stout.

A tune and piggyback ECU is a must though. Only the TRD supercharger can be run with no tune, turbos will run very lean. I don't recommend the 2RZ/3RZ TRD supercharger though, it's pricey and doesn't add much power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so from what im understanding... long as you have bigger fuel pump and injectors and a wideband you can turn boost up some?

·
Registered
88 Posts
so from what im understanding... long as you have bigger fuel pump and injectors and a wideband you can turn boost up some?
Yes, within reason. I have that exact formula of bigger pump + bigger injectors + wideband + piggyback ECU and it makes for an simple platform to add boost. You could try a best guess with no piggyback ECU but you'll have to watch your AFR's like a hawk. If you see 12's or higher at WOT that's starting to go into the danger zone and you'll be forced to dial back boost instead of just adding more fuel with a tune. It can be done that way but you'll be leaving power on the table. Plus you'll have no way to retard timing which can also cause issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a AEM FIC 6 piggyback I will be selling here soon. It came off my turbo 96 4x2 if you're interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it was Doug demuro that predicted mid 90s mini trucks will start holding or going up in value. He's probably right, because people like me are hitting their 40s and the nostalgia bug is hitting me hard. Finding one and decent condition like this snaptube vidmate one is going to be harder and harder to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts