Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got two rims done already. I am going to take some pics of the next one I do to try help people out who are unsure about doing it. Also I repainted my front calipers red and painted the rear drums black. So far the one rim I have mounted back up looks killer with the red behind it! Should be done around 12 or 1 PST. :headbang: :clapping:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,358 Posts
Re: Started Black Rim Mod

def post pics, give details pls as far as what kind of paint,how many coats, did you unmount the tire or tape off? ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Started Black Rim Mod

Well first of course take your rim off your truck. Thought I would just make sure everyone is on the same page. Next make sure you clean the rim really good. Cause the paint wont stick to dirt that well. First step is either tape off rim. Or like I did use index cards. I found this works out a lot better. Put the cards between the tire and the rim. I painted mine inflated in my garage. I painted the backside first so that the last side I paint is the face of the rim.


The first coat should be a very light coat. Just to give the rest of the paint something to hold onto. If you start off too heavy you will get runs and itll look crappy.


The second coat should be a little haevier and almost make the whole rim black. You will still have a few light spots but the third coat will cover them up.

The third and final coat should be the same as the second coat. But fill in the lighter spots. Make sure you wait 10 mins between coats or it might get ugly.

Let this coat dry for about 20 mins before flipping over to other side.
Once dried flip over and repeat.



Also I painted the brakes. The front painted red which I did once before but thought I would still put a write up since I redid them. And for the first time painted my rears black. Sorry I think red drums would look like a civic.

First you want to cover the whole brake with brake cleaner. If its really dirty use some simple green. Then wait for it to dry and apply paint. On calipers I perfer the paint on. And on the drums its faster to use the spray.
Here are some before pics:



And now the pics of it all together with fresh paint on the rims and brakes:






Also while you have your wheels off this is a great time to clean your wheel wells out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend did his rims and were fine with out it. And I dunno if im gonna stay black or maybe do a gold or bronze rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is it all together


Here is a pic of the brakes painted before wheel:



Here are the products I used to complete this:
For the rims. Comes in other colors too. A must is the red handle. Makes it a lot easier! Took me 4 cans for all 5 rims.

This is what I used for the front brakes. It comes in a box with cleaner and some other stuff. I have used this red can on 5 different cars. One can goes a long way!

And this is what I used for the rear drums. Only did two drums and still feels almost full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
You did a great job and it looks awesome. I would do this in a heartbeat if I wasn't concerned with chipping. Chipping would absolutely drive me insane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the plus about powder coating them. But I only paid $50 at the max for the paint for the rims and brakes. Which would be only one rim powder coated. And if I get bored the the black I can just sand them down and paint them a different color!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
x-stealth said:
That is the plus about powder coating them. But I only paid $50 at the max for the paint for the rims and brakes. Which would be only one rim powder coated. And if I get bored the the black I can just sand them down and paint them a different color!
My Dad's gonna do the same thing for me.. YAY!!:waytogo:
He's a painter so he knows what he's doing.. You make it look so easy maybe i can do it..lol..:lol:
The inside plate. I think its the brake plate??. isnt that gonna chip?????????? Thats what i was worried about..
cause i would want my dad to paint it HOT PINK!! :eek:
but im not sure about that just yet...
oh yeah 1 more thing... Did you use the same paint for the plate and the rims?????? Thanks for your help!:waytogo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MsXrunner420 said:
My Dad's gonna do the same thing for me.. YAY!!:waytogo:
He's a painter so he knows what he's doing.. You make it look so easy maybe i can do it..lol..:lol:
The inside plate. I think its the brake plate??. isnt that gonna chip?????????? Thats what i was worried about..
cause i would want my dad to paint it HOT PINK!! :eek:
but im not sure about that just yet...
oh yeah 1 more thing... Did you use the same paint for the plate and the rims?????? Thanks for your help!:waytogo:
There are two different paints for the rims and brakes. Ive never had a problem with the paint on the brakes chipping. It fades over time thats why I repainted them. I took pictures of the products I used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
x-stealth said:
There are two different paints for the rims and brakes. Ive never had a problem with the paint on the brakes chipping. It fades over time thats why I repainted them. I took pictures of the products I used.
okay...:waytogo:
that product was for the plates right??:shrug: thats what i thought....
Sorry.. I just wanna make sure! And did you see hot pink?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MsXrunner420 said:
okay...:waytogo:
that product was for the plates right??:shrug: thats what i thought....
Sorry.. I just wanna make sure! And did you see hot pink?:eek:
No Sorry. They only have the basic colors. I am sure someone makes it. All the stuff I got was from pepboys.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top