Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup customtaco guys, I have been thinking about forced induction for a couple months now on my 97 2rz. This is my first na to fi swap. I originally was going to go with the LCE low boost supercharger kit for simple install and no tune. The truck is my daily driver, bone stock at 207k miles, Im not looking for a drag truck but a decent street truck maybe around 200whp and honestly i dont think a 4psi supercharger will give me what I want. Should I go turbo kit from LCE or highboost supercharger? Which one can get me to 200whp reliably? How much boost can this stock motor handle? Anyone know how/where to tune these trucks? Im completely new to tuning and not sure where to start to get a right tune for it (located in colorado if anyone knows a shop that can tune it). Thanks yall

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Start off with a basic turbo kit, with ~5psi. Both LCE and KO Racing make quality kits. That should be around 200ish hp. maybe a bit less, plus tons of room for expansion when you inevitably want more, and you won't have to even tune it. I drove around on 7psi for like 2 years with no tune. No issues with the engine aside from the standard stumbling when you rev it out and let it return to idle(clutch in/no load), but it's got a MAF, that's how it is.

The supercharger has a really low power output for money spent. Plus almost nothing will get you close to what a turbo will be able to get you.

The stock 2RZ block has been proven to around 20 psi on stock internals. Obviously need fuel and computer upgrades past anything over 7psi. But the point is, the 2RZ is a stout engine. At a minimum on yours with 200K+ miles, I'd check compression and maybe do a head gasket and studs. the pre-2000 tacos had a slightly worse style head gasket from the factory. Not that it's bad, but they made an upgrade sometime around 2000 I think. The studs just make sense while you're in there. 100 dollar insurance for the long run.

In the end, bigger injectors, a piggyback, MLS head gasket/ARP head studs should be safe for a daily-able 14 psi+ depending on your abilities to maintain and how well you can get it tuned.

Reactions: Toyguam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yah I had bought the supercharger kit from LCE but it was trash compared to amount of money you spend. Turbo kit should be the best way for these motors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts