Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking to see if anyone had had problems with their emissions..

I just bought my 03 4x4 V6 taco from a used dealership with 50k on it. I brought it in for the state inspection and they said it failed. They mentioned that the cpu isn't allowing them to get a reading....

I called the dealership, they told me to contact a Toyota dealership and they would re-imburse me whatever the charge was for the fix.

When I called Toyota I was told this is a common problem, that there is no repair for. They said if I drove the truck it would correct itself. The thing I don't understand is there haven't been ANY repairs to the vehicle that would effect the cpu.....has anyone had this happen to them???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put about 2k on the truck, No work performed at all!! The garage that did the inspection "promised" me it will pass when I bring it back. I brought it in cold today, next time I'll drive a few miles beforehand. Thanks for the warranty info, that's reassuring!!

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
gotta put your lead shoes on before you go in for inspection... if they use a sniffer in the tail pipe, you want the cats to get hot for maximum efficiency. dont be afraid to get on the throttle and run it hard before you head to the inspection shop.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I heard by the local gear heads that the inspection department was a little crooked so i went to the local inspection station to get a sticker in NC. and the two guys had matching mullets and i pooped my hood and they just looked at my taco and i told them i had no cats so for a twenty dollar bill and my 6 pack of beer :drinking: that i had in my truck one me a passed sticker, I LOVE THE DIRTY SOUTH!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you unplug the battery near the time in which the computer is read on the truck, it will not be ready for the test which is automatically a failure. In MA, we recommend you drive for 8-10 days before the test to allow the computer to run through all the different drive cycles.

I am an inspector and I have seen cases where the car isnt ready for the test months, to years after the battery was disconnected, Thats when you realize there is a problem with the vehicles computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts