Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having the check engine light on for a couple of months now.. haven't had the time to check it out until yesterday. The diagnostic showed about 4 codes, 3 of them having to do with misfires on three cylinders and the other one stating "system too lean". About a couple of months ago, is when I noticed the change in the engine (a bit more knocking and pinging). and since I had the TB problem (APPS and TPS), I thoght that the system too lean problem would be cause of the TB. I bought the new TB, and the system kept running lean. One thing I had remembered is that some time ago, I found out that my Boost gauge was not working, so I checked the vacuum lines, and a couple of them were disconnected (broken vacuum connector). I replaced the vacuum connector and placed the vacuum lines how it seemed the most logical. the boost gauge worked again but the engine was running lean. I currently have the URD injectors/FTC kit, and Maps A and B seem to have the correct values (same as before it began knocking ang pinging). Although, a change I did notice after noticing the non-functioning boost gauge is that I'm gettin about 8.5 psi, compared to the 7 psi i used to get before anything happened. I'm wondering what the problem might be.. is there a possibility that I placed a vacuum line in its wrong location? Should I check spark plugs? spark plug cables? Change FTC values? (My current values go from 8.8 to around 9.8-being the highest) Any other suggestions? I'm mostly considering checking spark plugs and wires, but not sure if that would be the most probable cause... Any help is greatly appreciated.

JAG

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Maybe some specifics on your setup would come in handy on diagnosing your problems?????:shrug: This will give us a place to start without covering too many bases..........:waytogo:

·
Registered
211 Posts
So u are running the 318cc bosch injectors? 8.8 in the FTC map sounds really low to me. I would spend a little money on a wideband if you don't have one or at least take it to the dyno. Dangerous trying to tune without knowing your Air/Fuel ration in my opinion. Personally, I would save the map you have, enter all 10s in the FTC map and adjust from there. If it doesn't like the 10s you can always revert back to your old map. Also if u haven't read the Utune guide I highly suggest it. Might as well pull some plugs and check them out. I fouled a plug out a year ago because I didn't push the wire all the way on and it gave me a horrible misfire I thought was pinging. So definitely check them out, it is easy enough...I am no pro, just offering my advice from experience. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts