Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 2 rz engine many years ago and it's at the engine shop now. I don't remember from what year it was . My truck is an 01 two wheel drive 2rz . I want to check the block serial numbers / code date to make sure the motor I'm rebuilding will work and install with out any problems .

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Does it have a distributor (or a hole for mounting a distributor)? If so, it will be more trouble than it's worth to install it on your '01 (with electronic ignition). Other than that ...

I could be wrong, but I don't recall any significant changes in the 2RZ block from 1998 onward. The head is another matter. There were changes to the port design sometime around 1998. It may be more informative to check part numbers for the heads rather than the blocks themselves.

In 2000 there were different emission specs and equipment (Federal spec versus California spec). Off hand I don't know whether this involved any differences in the blocks or heads. Your 2001 would be an LEV setup (equivalent to the Cali spec in 2000).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts