Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to drive with your brake lights still mounted (somehow), with the bed off? i need to drive my truck to my welder to get it c-notched (40 miles away), and he needs the bed off prior to delivery. if anyone has done this, clue me in so when i do take the bed off, im ahead of the game.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,774 Posts
(1) I don't know how picky California may be about doing that.

(2) I don't see how you'd stand a chance of avoiding getting pulled over unless you mount (and wire up) alternative brake lamps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(1) I don't know how picky California may be about doing that.

(2) I don't see how you'd stand a chance of avoiding getting pulled over unless you mount (and wire up) alternative brake lamps.
i was thinking if anything, mount magnetic brake lamps like tow truck drivers do. with no bed, kinda similar to a flat bed in a way i guess...im thinkin as long as i have brake lights and ill use hand signals when turning. i might leave my rear bumper on possibly. we’ll see, still trying to figure it out

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
i was thinking if anything, mount magnetic brake lamps like tow truck drivers do. with no bed, kinda similar to a flat bed in a way i guess...im thinkin as long as i have brake lights and ill use hand signals when turning. i might leave my rear bumper on possibly. we’ll see, still trying to figure it out

I've seen it all too often that when the bed is removed you just take the stock taillights and use some big zip ties (or several small zip ties daisy-chained together) and zip tie them to the rear of the frame near the bumper. Laying them on their side shouldn't matter. You could even get away with using some safety wire holding them the same way. For a while when I had no front bumper, I had nowhere to mount my front turn signals. So I just zip-tied them to the front core support in a way that they could be seen when in use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen it all too often that when the bed is removed you just take the stock taillights and use some big zip ties (or several small zip ties daisy-chained together) and zip tie them to the rear of the frame near the bumper. Laying them on their side shouldn't matter. You could even get away with using some safety wire holding them the same way. For a while when I had no front bumper, I had nowhere to mount my front turn signals. So I just zip-tied them to the front core support in a way that they could be seen when in use.
yea i mocked them up sideways on the rear bumper and im sure they were fine....but the other issue was no wheel liner so i would be throwing rocks and crap to other cars..i didnt feel like mocking a wheel liner too so i just went with aaa tow
B3F9D212-0A24-4F93-ACF9-B0BD14880D93.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
As long as you have brake, turn signals you'll be fine(tail if driving at night). Might handle a little weird without the weight, so might be a good idea to drive on the cautious side.
I'd pull the tail light assemblies from the bed and zip tie to the frame. They can go horizontal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as you have brake, turn signals you'll be fine(tail if driving at night). Might handle a little weird without the weight, so might be a good idea to drive on the cautious side.
I'd pull the tail light assemblies from the bed and zip tie to the frame. They can go horizontal.
been flatbedded but kickin up debri and crap up on other cars was an issue since i was driving on the freeway and the destination was about 40 miles away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts