Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure when i removed my driveshaft (center bearing to rear dif) if i put the drive shaft on the same way i took it off. the weights on the shaft are to the rear of the DS, is that right?. and when i drive there is a slight shudder at 25 mph but nothing extreme. also, what u joints would you all recommend? 99 tacoma ext cab auto trans 3.4. part number if yoi have em sonce theres more variations than covid

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
I don't have any parts numbers for the propeller shaft (Toyotese for driveshaft).

On an XtraCab 5-lug 2WD mini you should have the 3-joint propeller shaft with the center bearing.

I'm completely confused by your mention of "weights."

Did you remove the shaft assembly as one complete piece?
Did you disassemble it while it was removed?
Did you replace any components of the shaft assembly?

Did you make matchmarks to be sure you reassembled everything in exactly the orientations they were originally in?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any parts numbers for the propeller shaft (Toyotese for driveshaft).

On an XtraCab 5-lug 2WD mini you should have the 3-joint propeller shaft with the center bearing.

I'm completely confused by your mention of "weights."

Did you remove the shaft assembly as one complete piece?
Did you disassemble it while it was removed?
Did you replace any components of the shaft assembly?

Did you make matchmarks to be sure you reassembled everything in exactly the orientations they were originally in?
the weights that are on the driveshaft that keep it in balance...

i giess what im saying is that the back half driveshaft, it appears that it can be installed either way, so im not sure if i installed it the same way but yes i did mark both ends with paint to make sure it bolts up but both sides of the DS were white marks so im not sure if it went in the same way prior to removal.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
the weights that are on the driveshaft that keep it in balance...

i giess what im saying is that the back half driveshaft, it appears that it can be installed either way, so im not sure if i installed it the same way but yes i did mark both ends with paint to make sure it bolts up but both sides of the DS were white marks so im not sure if it went in the same way prior to removal.
If you can take pictures, I may be able to guide you here.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Ok, so you basically can clock the way the driveshaft installs in relation to the mount on the axle. Try unbolting it, clocking it 180° and bolting it back down.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It shouldn't matter which direction it's installed. If it's balanced correctly, which I'm assuming it is since it's the stocker and you haven't modified it, then it doesn't matter. Balanced is balanced. I'd check your hardware and make sure everything is installed and torqued to spec. I've had a similar issue before after getting my truck back on the road and when I got home every bolt on the diff end of the shaft was loose... FML! Could be a simple overlook or mistorqued hardware. I got lucky and the driveshaft didn't come loose and destroy itself or the bed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts