Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Welcome to CT ... I'm not sure this sort of thing has been discussed before here on CT.

First ... Did you ever hear the fuel pump activate when you bridged the various wires?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Here (attached) are the 2007 starting and 1GR engine control wiring diagrams.

I'm not sure bridging pins on the Fuel Pump Relay will work to activate the fuel pump.

I can't figure out how the pump relay, Circuit Opening Relay, EFI Relay, and the ECM are supposed to interact when the ignition switch is in the on position.

I suspect the Circuit Opening Relay isn't activating, and the Fuel Pump Relay isn't getting any current, but I can't prove it.

It also seems to me the yellow-with-red-stripe wire from the Fuel Pump Relay to the ECM has to be connected for the FPR to operate. If I'm reading the diagram right, the FPR activation circuit grounds back to the ECM. Toyota uses negative switching - if there's no ground, the circuit stays dead.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
This thought may be as stupid as it is off-the-wall ...

I'm still not 100% certain how to translate the 4Runner diagram pin numbers into the Engine Control diagram pin numbers. Under what I think is the most probable interpretation ...

Is it possible you fried the resistor when you mistakenly bridged pins using the paper clip the first time?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Look at the Engine Control wiring diagram, page 79.

I was referring to the Fuel Pump Resistor connected to the FPR via the black-with-yellow-stripe wire at the FPR pin #5. I can't figure out what purpose the resistor is supposed to serve. If my translation of the 4Runner diagram was correct I think you mistakenly bridged the sub-circuits on both sides of the resistor at once. However, if the FPR didn't activate while these two pins were bridged it seems (to me) to indicate the FPR wasn't getting any current from the Circuit Opening Relay in the first place.

This is the main reason why I'm totally confused about what's going wrong where.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't even know if it's possible to ruin a resistor by putting full current on both ends of it.

As I mentioned, I can't figure out what the parallel sub-circuit with the resistor is supposed to do. Without understanding that, I'm reluctant to suggest applying direct 12V power to the fuel pump line at connector IB1 (left kick panel) just to see if the pump works at all.

If the FPR isn't activating (clicking) at all, it may not be getting any power. Check the fuses shown on the diagrams I posted. It could also mean that something 'upstream' in the control path (e.g., the Circuit Opening Relay) isn't working.

The fuel pump resistor is located in the engine bay somewhere behind your port side (driver side) headlight. I'm attaching a routing diagram from the 2007 FSM to illustrate the location. Item "F11" is the resistor.

Hope this helps ...
Slope Font Parallel Auto part Rectangle

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
There isn't a separate fuse for the fuel pump.

If I'm reading the engine control diagram correctly, the power that gets fed to the fuel pump comes through the 20A EFI fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts