Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to figure out how to disengage traction control while in two wheel drive. It automatically disengages in four wheel drive. I know it is safe on the road but offroading sucks with it on! Please I need help!

Mikey

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I thought the '05 4x4s came with a rear electronic locker, not traction control? I know my PreRunner has an LSD. I don't know, sorry can't be of any help.

Aloha...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to take a guess and say that you have VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)? As far as I know, there's no way to disable traction control in 2HI on 05-06 models. It's automatically disabled in 4HI and 4LO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup I got vsc. I hate the fact that I cant do donuts! I was hoping that some of you guys have already figured it out. If anyone does PLEASE help me out!

mikey

·
Registered
186 Posts
All toyota trucks have a limited slip differential in 2WD. The back right wheel is the main drive wheel. When it looses traction, the left wheel kicks in to help it. It works off of a clutch system in the rear axle. It's not a unit you can engage and disengage when you want. There's no getting rid of it unless you take out the limited slip and replace it with an open differential.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since the stability system needs input as to the wheel speeds to determine its next course of action, I would venture that the ABS wheel sensors are utilized to determine the individual wheel speeds with regard to an overall average. Thus actuating the "stability" part of the system.

I would suggest that if you disabled the ABS (pull the fuse) that the stability program would disengage.

Either that or figure out how to "lie" to the ECU about 4wd. If it automatically disengages in this transfercase option, can you just jump the switch/sensor that relays the info to the ECU?

·
Registered
736 Posts
My6AteUr8 said:
All toyota trucks have a limited slip differential in 2WD. The back right wheel is the main drive wheel. When it looses traction, the left wheel kicks in to help it. It works off of a clutch system in the rear axle. It's not a unit you can engage and disengage when you want. There's no getting rid of it unless you take out the limited slip and replace it with an open differential.
The only current gen Toyots trucks with LSD are the x runner and the TRD sport. The traction control that you have is regulated by the brake system and yaw sensors. If the computer receives readings that indicate a spin it will pulse individual brakes to try to get the vehicle under control. You really dont want to disconect the abs fuse. It might be fun but if you wreck your insurance will not cover it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a 95 Taco that had LSD too. LSD is not a feature of TRD. TRD only adds a locking diff. I'm pretty sure all Toyota trucks have LSD.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My6AteUr8 said:
I had a 95 Taco that had LSD too. LSD is not a feature of TRD. TRD only adds a locking diff. I'm pretty sure all Toyota trucks have LSD.
Heh, you wanna come see my 96 tacoma do a 1 tire fire? cause it aint got an LSD in it yet. However, the original poster's problem is not LSD related. On the new Tacoma's, they can be had with a Vehicle Stability Control, and thats what he's asking if it can be momentarily disabled to allow donuts off road and such.

·
Premium Member
4,535 Posts
My6AteUr8 said:
not all toyota trucks came with lsd

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
AZNPG said:
not all toyota trucks came with lsd
In fact, most toyota trucks did not come with LSD, at least not in the pervious generation. There was a TRD LSD available for the V6 models I believe, or a locker that came with the TRD package, also on the V6 models. Everyone else gets the open diff.

·
Yota Doc
1,823 Posts
My6AteUr8 said:
I always thought that regular Tacos came with open diff. The TRD Sport comes with an lsd, and the TRD Off Road comes with a locker.

·
1GTACO
636 Posts
Flamingsushi said:
I always thought that regular Tacos came with open diff. The TRD Sport comes with an lsd, and the TRD Off Road comes with a locker.
trd sport and trd off road both just have lsd, the sport is just the color trim package. color matched bumpers and grill surround and stuff, a few other things i believe. rear ends are the same

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a way to do it! Tacoma tutorials claims to have found a way. SImilar to the grey wire mod but this is specific for the 05+ tacomas that want to engage the locker without being in four wheel drive. I only wanted to turn off my VSC but this setup shuts off the VSC (traction control) as a result of turning on the locker while in two wheel drive. Thanks for the help fellas!!

I randomly found the tacoma tutorials has anyone ever used this site?

Mikey

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mikediddly said:
I found a way to do it! Tacoma tutorials claims to have found a way. SImilar to the grey wire mod but this is specific for the 05+ tacomas that want to engage the locker without being in four wheel drive. I only wanted to turn off my VSC but this setup shuts off the VSC (traction control) as a result of turning on the locker while in two wheel drive. Thanks for the help fellas!!

I randomly found the tacoma tutorials has anyone ever used this site?

Mikey
You've got to work pretty hard to find a Taco with the VSC option; most of them out there do not. So how did you end up choosing one with VSC if you don't want it?
My only guess is that you wanted the side curtain air bags, and those Tacos all come with VSC in the package.
Not being a dick - just curious...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
6 Posts
The VSC is easy to disable. Ground the blue wire with the yellow stripe on connector F-12 of the 4WD ECU. You have a 4WD ECU even if you have a prerunner. Go figure. I switched mine so when the wife is driving while talking on the cell phone and putting on makeup she won't kill anybody. The mod also disables ABS, wich makes sliding around a lot more fun. Click on my sig to read a more in depth how to one page three. The new "grey wire mod" is on page two, but it is slightly more complicated. The link you posted is for the LOCKER mod, not VSC! Here is a pic of the switch-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts