Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to replace my stock guage cluster bulbs on my 95 Tacoma with better bulbs, but with all of the searching on this forum, I haven't found the answer to my question. I understand the heat my cause melting, but say with xenon bulbs, do you guys still put the condom/sleeve back on the bulb? Is it alright to leave the sleeve off? Thanks so much for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Xenon my left nut. Funny how they label xenon on all the "ultra white, max white, cool blue" bulbs. Anyways, I assume that's the color bulb you putting in. What year is your truck (fill out your profile please)? The condoms you have are blue? If yes, without the condoms, it will make the cluster light up yellowish. Since your putting in colored bulbs I assume, you won't need the condoms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, all I am looking for is a brighter white illumination to replace my stock 194 bulbs. I want to remove the green sleeve and simply illuminate white rather than green. I'm just concerned about leaving a sleeve off, or, to enhance the color distribution, should I put some sort of sleeve on the bulb? I don't plan on putting in colored bulbs. BTW, I stated my truck was a 95 Tacoma in the original post. I'll be sure to fill out a profile as well. Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
haha, oops, for some weird reason didn't see what truck ya had. If you leave the green sleeves off, the cluster won't light up white as you would think, it'll actually come out yellowish. Best thing to do is throw in some of the light tinted blue bulbs or use lightly tinted blue condoms to get a nice "white" color. Not sure where they sell those condoms but most 90's Hondas come with the ligt blue condoms that I'm talking about.

·
Flaming Bastard
9,442 Posts
Get Polarg B1 Hybrid #194's and do not put the green condoms back on. The bulbs are blue, but emit a BRIGHT white light. My dash cluster is brilliant white, and I love it compared to the stock "WTF Green".

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
yes you can leave the condoms off and you will get the bright white light you are looking to get...

zero.. if you've never done it, you should try it.. you dont get any "yellowish" color as you're describing

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
zero.. if you've never done it, you should try it.. you dont get any "yellowish" color as you're describing
never done it on a taco......my integra had the light blue condoms that made the cluster appear "white". When I took the condoms off the cluster lit up yellow and ugly. Not that bad I guess but compared to how it looks with the condoms it was a big difference. I threw in Polarg M4s when I put on NR guages (I hate that indiglo guage stuff).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts