Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you all know. I was swapping out my tires this weekend and noticed that the right front A-arm bushing was failing. The A-arm is actually pushing the lip of the bushing over the outer washer. These are the same washers that were supplied with the kit. These washers are NOT the same diameter as the bushing itself allowing it to flex over the outer washer. I noticed on the DJM website that the pictures they currently show DO match the diameter of the bushing. Did this change recently? I'm not too sure. My kit was purchased in 2001. I just got off the phone with DJM and they will be shipping me new bushings and washers asap (not sure if it's gonna cost me or not). I don't have any pictures currently, but I'll try to get some up when I swap out the hardware. Might want to check yours out too just to make sure the diameter of the washers matches the bushings so it doesn't push over.

I'm sure I saw this posted on here before, but couldn't find it. Maybe Randy could work some search engine finess to find the posts?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Hey Nate- maybe you and some of the Sactoguys wouldn't mind having a motor pulling party, at that time we could re-do your ball joints, and mine too
I'll supply all the beers!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,683 Posts
RevHard6 said:
... I'm sure I saw this posted on here before, but couldn't find it. Maybe Randy could work some search engine finess to find the posts?
Rev': I seem to recall a very similar cautionary post myself .... I'm having trouble finding it, though ...

I don't think it was this thread on Chris D's rubbage problems:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61574

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, not the same. I found that same thread last night in trying to search for the bushing thread. I want to say it was Sam -srunnerguy or another socal guy that had the problem.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,683 Posts

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Enola Gaia said:
Is this it?.....

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9521

It's the April 2003 thread in which Sam (srunnerguy) posted pics of his upper A-arm slipping a bushing ... :thinking:
Yeap, that's it. Thanks Randy. Thankfully mine has not come that far off. I pounded it back with a mallet. Looks like Sam had the same washers I do (smaller than the bushing).

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,683 Posts
I've gone ahead and re-done srunnerguy's original photos as attachments for archival purposes (so they won't disappear if or when the remote hosting goes away...).

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Well, I tore apart my files looking for my friggin order form (ordered the kit through GF Customs) and could find it. Called GF and they couldn't look up my info as it was "too long ago". Sheesh. I just had to place an order for a new bushing set and washers (sold seperately BTW :thinking: Hmmm... funny that is) through DJM. Oh well.

Here's a couple of pics. I couldn't get a better shot of the rear bushing (move forward a good 1/4")

Attachments

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
your lucky.. abouy 2 days after i did my djm kit my control arm completely cam reoff one side of the shaft:jawdrop: bushings were in good enough condition to reuse though with some enormous washers on either saide even though they say not to do it for some reason:shrug:
notice how you have grease between the control arm and the bushing.. its oonly suposed to be between the shaft and bushing. thats where my problem came from.. improperly installed zerk fittings

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Firdaddy said:
your lucky.. abouy 2 days after i did my djm kit my control arm completely cam reoff one side of the shaft:jawdrop: bushings were in good enough condition to reuse though with some enormous washers on either saide even though they say not to do it for some reason:shrug:
notice how you have grease between the control arm and the bushing.. its oonly suposed to be between the shaft and bushing. thats where my problem came from.. improperly installed zerk fittings
Well, the grease is everywhere thanks to the bushing being able to move freely. I do faintly remember having a problem with the bushing not staying aligned to the zerk hole when I first installed it 4+ years ago. The problem is the washers they supplied with my original kit were too small to cover the end of the bushing.

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I finally got to swap out the bushings this last weekend. The attached pictures show the washers that were originally supplied with the kit and the new washers sent out by DJM. Seems they "updated" their design. :looney: You can clearly see the new ones are the proper diameter as well as beefier.

Attachments

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably, but I needed new bushings anyway and they came with the bushing kit. Notice the torn one... :waytogo:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just had my passenger side control are bushing fail while my nephew was driving. I installed the 3/4 kit in February of 08. It seems to me they know this is an issue but not telling anyone about it until they call and complain. I will be calling on Monday. Now I had to redo both sides to correct this. If this had failed during a panic stop it might have killed some one. I'm really disappointed with DJM for not contacting everyone who has purchased this kit to provide a fix.

At least no one was hurt. This time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts