Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on a spare motor but don't know the differences on the motors. I am planning on getting a 01-04 reg tacoma and wanted a spare motor and the only one I found as of right now is a 98 2rz motor. What are the differences and can I use that motor in an 01-04 tacoma??? Also, in your opinion is it easier to run a turbo setup in a 98 or a 01???

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know those differences were made in the motor but does it mean I can't use a 98 motor in a 01???? Just want to make sure that I don't buy a motor I don't need. Thanks though for the input.

·
BOOSTPIMP
12,867 Posts
So would I be able to use a 98 in an 01???
01 uses four coil packs one per cylinder and no spark plug wires. The 98 has two coil packs with four plug wires. 98 is 8 port intake manifold and 01 is four port intake manifold. Harness is different as well. i would just look out for a 01-04 tacoma motor personally. Mileage would be alot less as well.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
i mean like me with my stock systemo n my 98 and swap a 04 3rz in and just use my stock coil packs instead of converting to the coil on plug.......wouldnt that wokr as long as the motor wasnt dist.?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you doing a 3rz conversion??? Do you know if we have to swap the ECU and wiring from a 3rz also???? Cause I too wanted to convert to a 3rz. Thanks

·
BOOSTPIMP
12,867 Posts
i have a 99 tacoma that came with a 2rz and now i converted and put in a 2003 3rz. You need to change the wiring and ECU. their are more mods for this that is why i say leave it to the same year you have now and find one that will bolt right in and go... even small changes like holes in valve cover for four coil packs will cause some issues with it... pm me if you want exact details or if you have specific questions to ask....

·
Registered
1 Posts
@pimpintaco if you could I would definitely appreciate knowing the detail on your 3rz conversion on your 99. I have 98 and is pretty similar if not the same as your 99 and I am wanting to 3rz swap mine as well. Any tips or pointers would very much help in making the process smooth. I have a general idea of what I have to do but I’m not 100% sure on everything that needs to be done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts