Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey spyder041,
if you search on yahoo or google for "toyota devil horns emblem" you will note that the previous ones were only add-on sticker horns to the existing toyota emblem and not a complete aluminum piece.
http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14877
I began making them since march of this year so it is impossible that you saw the exact ones on ebay a few years back like you said.
AFP520,
What two "points" are you talking about? I completely re-draw the toyota logo on 3D and morphed it so that it can have devil horns. If it was so easy then everyone could do it. I have no clue of what two "points" you refer to. Oh well, to each his own... right?
-Andres

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,659 Posts
I say, sell them while you can.. But, be prepared to have to stop at some point. Other's have been warned. And much like the BMC (Black Mustang Club) whom last year was warned by Ford Motor Co. about its acceptabilty of them making a Car Club Calender providing they did not show any Ford logos. I cannot see Toyota being able to stop the sell of the Devil Horn emblem. At least not permanently. It is definately at least 30% different from their original designed copyrighted logo, so they actually have no grounds as a copy or design infringement lawsuit.

From another site: http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/goodtoyota-badtoyota.html
Good Toyota - Bad Toyota

The really cool, funny, goofy, tongue in cheek, and should have been legally OK according to fair use under parody of the Toyota logo, the one that was here with the cute little devil horns coming out of its head, has been forced off this page by Toyota PR and their legal team who didn't seem to have any sense of humor about it. They called us, then sent us a form letter! So I removed it to keep them happy. Now I'm sure Doug Korthof will call me a sell out again! I'd in fact ironically borrowed the illustration from some other website, and it appears that cute little devil horn Toyota logo is widely used as a popular emblem by British Toyota Club owners, sold freely at truck stops and automotive parts stores in the UK everywhere! Is the Toyota legal team going to go after every single one of these Toyota owners who have the emblem stuck on the hood of their car? It would appear so, as I've been told that they have over 200.000 domain name holders they plan on pursuing for unauthorized use of their trademark. Take a cue from Google, let it be... otherwise all you will succeed in doing is alienate a lot of long time loyal Toyota fans and supporters.

-RemyC.
ET webed

And this from an older lawsuit filed by Toyota against a competitor. The Courts ruled in the competitors favor:

The Court is of the opinion that when judging if a mark is similar to a registered mark, and if a mark used on the goods which are identical with or similar to the goods designated for the registered mark mislead the relevant public, recognition of the registered mark is a well-known trademark is not a per-condition.

So, yes it looks similar to the Toyota logo, but is not mis-representing the Toyota line up or deceiving the public into thinking it is a Toyota when it is not.. No false advertising done here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Glassdoc,
Thanks for the heads up, eversince my buddy braugt me the idea of this logo I taught about lawsuits and all so I'm aware of the consequences. i don't make much money on these really after paying for machine time, coolant, lubricants, tooling, electricity, sand paper, etc, etc, etc. I don't own a business either, I'm just a college student making what I can to help myself while in college. everybody has their own opinion, some love the idea while others hate it. If anyone thinks that I am making this to become rich or to smear the Toyota name with my products then they're wrong. I am not advertising these as if it were Toyota's product, they're called "Devil horns" and not "Toyota Devil Horns". I READ that any copyrighted logo must not be duplicated if it falls within some tolerance and deviations wether it's 2D, 3D, any colors, fonts, structure and so on and my emblems don't really fall within these parameters. I'd give it a few more months until I drop this and move into something else, I've also machine cambers, steering wheels, Iphone bases for tacoma, fly-cut engine heads, even small stuff like key chains, engraved mini-bats, foot pegs for Harley Davidson, etc. This sure looks like a toyota logo but it's not, I made everything from scratch and it you were to 3D scan this and compare it to the original emblem they would be different. Like I said, I give it a few more months until I stop making them.
-Andres

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,659 Posts
No problem, hope I helped.. Actually I'd order one if it was 5-6 inches in diameter for the rear tailgate.. What is the diameter of these?

·
damn
6,533 Posts
Hey spyder041,
if you search on yahoo or google for "toyota devil horns emblem" you will note that the previous ones were only add-on sticker horns to the existing toyota emblem and not a complete aluminum piece.
http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14877
I began making them since march of this year so it is impossible that you saw the exact ones on ebay a few years back like you said.
AFP520,
What two "points" are you talking about? I completely re-draw the toyota logo on 3D and morphed it so that it can have devil horns. If it was so easy then everyone could do it. I have no clue of what two "points" you refer to. Oh well, to each his own... right?
-Andres
you dont have to explain anything to me..i dont care. im just curious as to how you just started making them in march, but 2-3 years ago i saw the same exact cad drawing on ebay. and i hate to burst your bubble, but NO there not stickers..they were machined aluminum, or what ever they were made out of...but like i said, i really dont care:shrug:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Ok, all bickering aside, I think it would be mad cool to have one of those emblems. Keep me posted when you start making them for the older trucks. Mine would be for a 98 4X4 grille.

·
Premium Member
9,445 Posts
I keep getting orders constantly.
Definitely nothing wrong with a little capitalism...

One of the issues here is that you were never a previously contributing member to this community, so we have no idea who you are and why we should support your business and education, so you may run into some resistance around these parts...

Your product concept is really cool, but of course, being regular contributors to this community, we have seen previous copyright infringement issues go south... While it can be claimed that you do not infringe on the logo as you fabricate the plates from scratch, the recognizable design of your template is still related considerably to the original toyota logo... In fact, the file name of your CAD file is TOYO horns which to some, would indicate that you are overtly aware that your original design is based completely on the toyota logo...

If the true intention of the emblem is to be original and set one's vehicle apart, it can be argued that the logo itself could be altered dramatically enough to NOT resemble the toyota logo... for example, the center of the emblem could be empty and just consist of the oval and the horns, or maybe your "company" logo could be dead center to help you further solidify the branding of your enterprise...

If I posted this here it's because two of my customers sugegsted me to do so and I'm simply making them available.
-Andres
In conclusion, you have stated your intention of being in this community was to sell your products, so please contact site administrator Jeff (and I will advise him of this post as well) that you wish to join this community as a paying vendor... This will help ease the minds of the community at large that your products, your credibility, and your intentions are within the better interests of our members...

Thanks!

:waytogo:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have you though about doing one for the 96-04 taco?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No I haven't made them for the '96 -'04 taco. I have the basic dimensions to begin but it's hard to find time now that I began another college semester. I have a list of people who are interested for that style taco so the best I can do is put you on the list and notify you when they're available.
-Andres

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
anyone wanna try to get toyota to make em???? if not leave the guy be hes not hurting anyone

·
Registered
687 Posts
No I haven't made them for the '96 -'04 taco. I have the basic dimensions to begin but it's hard to find time now that I began another college semester. I have a list of people who are interested for that style taco so the best I can do is put you on the list and notify you when they're available.
-Andres
If you need to use the original for a template, just hit me up and I'd gladly donate it to the cause.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I contacted customworks83 back in march when he was selling a few of the emblems for the 05+ Taco. Asked if he had anything for the previous generation. He said no and when he had time he would look into it. If money was his prime objective you would think that by now he would have had 97-04 emblem out and selling a ton of them considering how many Tacos between these years there are. He's making a few bucks producing a quality product in his future trade while in school. Give the kid a break.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Hey Jiggerman,
Thanks for the offer, but I'd need the grill as well. The grill for that generation tacomas changed a bit so I might have to do two different model emblems. I took measurements of the later style taco and I'll compare that to the previous grill. If anyone has an extra grill i'd be happy to buy it from them or borrow it and ship it back with a free emblem. The most importaint thing I need is time, time at work, 4 nights a week school (Chemistry and pre-calculus) plus homework and this on the side :runaway: . Some people just dont get it Tacomacalistud, there's a post concerning the finish on the back of my emblems
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117486
The back of the emblem has a parabolic shape (and not flat) because I want the emblem to blend perfectly to the grill. Also, no one EVER sees the back side of the emblem once it's bolted on.
Not to ofend anyone, but do they think that the front of their center console looks as attractive as the inside?
There goes another example of people that don't know how things are made or why are things made the way they are.
Aluminum foil and duct tape? I hope he wasn't seriuos.
Sorry Degull, I simply have too much in my hands.
-Andres

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I remember a time, and I know I'm not the only one, that there was NO aftermarket for these trucks. There are still very limited options as to what accessories and parts ARE available (how long have we been waiting for a full bolt on 2.4/2.7 turbo kit?O. It seems the people who have problems with this product and it's producer are a bunch of relative newbies to CT (except for pip). You guys need to realize that everyone has to start somewhere (i.e. Beefed Taco). If he is breaking the rules by selling these and not being a "vendor" than that's one thing, but he never represented himself as a company, he stated his exact case and situation, and the story seems legitimate enough, so why jump down his throat? You guys are seriously making me think you are a bunch of bitchy nerds just waiting for someone to complain about. You make me sick. I hope you all the best customworks83, and once you make one for my truck, I'll be happy to buy one, since they look like they are of the utmost quality, and I know machining equipment costs a lot of cake. Not everyone at CustomTacos is a piece of sh*t.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I remember a time, and I know I'm not the only one, that there was NO aftermarket for these trucks. There are still very limited options as to what accessories and parts ARE available (how long have we been waiting for a full bolt on 2.4/2.7 turbo kit?O. It seems the people who have problems with this product and it's producer are a bunch of relative newbies to CT (except for pip). You guys need to realize that everyone has to start somewhere (i.e. Beefed Taco). If he is breaking the rules by selling these and not being a "vendor" than that's one thing, but he never represented himself as a company, he stated his exact case and situation, and the story seems legitimate enough, so why jump down his throat? You guys are seriously making me think you are a bunch of bitchy nerds just waiting for someone to complain about. You make me sick. I hope you all the best customworks83, and once you make one for my truck, I'll be happy to buy one, since they look like they are of the utmost quality, and I know machining equipment costs a lot of cake. Not everyone at CustomTacos is a piece of sh*t.
True dat homie! :headbang: :waytogo: I sold on here for a year w/o a vendors license and Jeff (or any other mod) never once had a problem...and I know Enola saw all my junk I was selling. ( I was helping people that needed it, and glad I could do it) If it's a good product and a fair price, who cares, options for the Taco are good! TN shut me down in 1 day for my sig......NO ADVERTISING!!! Forums are a ton of info and products are good, as is all our sharing info and becoming cyber friends. CT rocks!

·
damn
6,533 Posts

i do hope your not talking about me in this group..:thinking:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
True dat homie! :headbang: :waytogo: I sold on here for a year w/o a vendors license and Jeff (or any other mod) never once had a problem...and I know Enola saw all my junk I was selling. ( I was helping people that needed it, and glad I could do it) If it's a good product and a fair price, who cares, options for the Taco are good! TN shut me down in 1 day for my sig......NO ADVERTISING!!! Forums are a ton of info and products are good, as is all our sharing info and becoming cyber friends. CT rocks!
Thanks for backing me on this one Beefed, I figured you'd chime in.
i do hope your not talking about me in this group..:thinking:
My rant is aimed at those whose first reaction to someone trying to sell an innovative product or idea, is to look for any reason to bash it. If that's you, than so be it. The guy's not offering you a nigerian inheritance, here. He just wants to make a few emblems. All I can say is the first ideas for billet grilles, rear notch kits, ball joint flips, etc... all started out like this and never got this kind of flack. I suppose those were the good old days.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts