Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm here to introduce my small product made for the latest generation Tacoma, I call it "Devil Horns". I'm a young machinist by trade and my friend Robert drives a tacoma. He asked me to fabricate something unique for his truck, so with a few rough ideas and some spare time I took on the challenge. What began as an idea was transformed into a solid aluminum work of art. Not long after that people began appreciating the quality of my work willing to buy a few more from me... so I decided to fabricate more. The price of work in a machine shop is very expensive; it's all about precision, quality and craftsmanship. The cost to make something in a machine shop runs from $45 to $75 per hour average, not here. There were previous comments that the surface finish on these emblems arent' that good... that's because it's an issue of time. I could make them very smooth and shiny, but if I take more time on these emblems I'd have to jack-up the price, it's a two-edge sword. I sell these on ebay for $62.00 plus $6.50 shipping for each emblem($68.50 total). I will sell each "Devil horns" emblems for CT members for $55.00 with shipping included, I only accept Paypal. I don't make much money really but it does help me pay my bills, books and tuition for college. I have an AS degree, 2 certificates and I'm curently working on my BS degree in mechanical engineering. I have been making custom work for cars, trucks and bikes for 3 years now and hopefully I become and engineer someday with a small machine shop on the side. I love my job, I love my education and I love what I do. The work of a machinist still amazes me, the knowlege and skills to turn a piece of metal into something totally functional is truly a gift. I have plans on making them for older style Tacoma, new Thundra and Supra. I also have some for previous generation Corolla... It was hard saying NO to my girlfriend when she asked me for one... :confused:. Feel free to ask any questions and leave any comments. Thank you for your time.
-Andres

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Devi...006QQitemZ160277181265QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

[email protected]

Girlfriend's corolla:

Thank you all.
-Andres

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
I call it, copyright infringement. Nice that it's your first post here and you're selling crap, so do you really care about the Toyota community, or your wallet?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
oh relax- Pippy... as long as he puts his address up, and number up, let him try to sell them, and yes, we've all see the devil horns on a Toyota logo... so yes, it is and infringement, but hey- if people want to buy it- let them...

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
oh relax- Pippy... as long as he puts his address up, and number up, let him try to sell them, and yes, we've all see the devil horns on a Toyota logo... so yes, it is and infringement, but hey- if people want to buy it- let them...
Only an idiot would pay $60+ for an emblem to put on their grille. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
^^^made me chuckle. you might think about getting a vendor pass from jeff if you want to continue selling these here, otherwise no more devil horns on CT.

looks good though, might just consider one.

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Hey- how many things have we paid a ton of money for, that were A: stupid-looking, or B: useless? That's the magic of custom work- if someone wants one, and they're not going to get stiffed- let them buy it... Although, I agree with the infringement thing- you shouldn't try to pawn off work, that you did not originally create, as your own- it's just bad business...

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Hey- how many things have we paid a ton of money for, that were A: stupid-looking, or B: useless? That's the magic of custom work- if someone wants one, and they're not going to get stiffed- let them buy it... Although, I agree with the infringement thing- you shouldn't try to pawn off work, that you did not originally create, as your own- it's just bad business...
How can it be infringment is if its not an exact replica of the oem TOY logo..

Theres a bit of a difference there kiddies.. open your eyes..
The horns keep it away from any type of copyright..

I remember reading how a guy was doing the same thing to Lexus emblems and there was a suit and it was dropped because it wasn't an exact thing.. I couldn't find the link of course, but it was dropped..

Lots of people have useless crap on their trucks..
cough cough spoilers cough cough.. :nana: excuuuuse me.. :jawdrop: I had a little tickle there.. :eek:

make some billet aluminum brass knuckle style shifters, I'd rock one of those ;)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Judging from his last picture, it looks like the girlfriend won.....unless he gave her the $55.00 CT price? :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AFP520, I'm sorry to hear that you dislike my products. I began with ONE emblem and people began asking me for more and more. If it was real crap and only an idiot would buy it then no one would buy it but hey... I keep getting orders constantly. Most people don't know how things are made in these days and it's sad. CNC work is expensive and I have to keep up with electric, material, tooling, coolant and time cost, I make them available to CT members for $55 shipping included. The way people look at it is: "oh, it's just an emblem" but reality is that machine shops will charge about $45 to $70 an hour for something being made, I doubt that a shop would do all this for less price. I'm sorry if I made it seem that I'm only interested in money, I attend college right now and I own a black '84 Longbed 4runner straight axel with 6' lift kit and 36' tires, swaped engine for a new one, new bucket seats, all-around LED's, 12' kicker and I'll upgrade my suspension with some Donahoe's. Wish I had something better but I'm happy with what I have. If I posted this here it's because two of my customers sugegsted me to do so and I'm simply making them available.
-Andres

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Don't sweat em Andres..

You get people who are into one thing and others into other things..
I think its a fun emblem and I know the work that goes into them..

Its a fun emblem and if someone wants em, they know where to go..
It's not my style, but its pretty cool..

All I have to say is Brass knuckle shifters ;)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Any item offered for the Tacoma is a good thing. Your emblems are sweet. I like Chris D's idea of custom shift knobs too. You have a ability to really make some sick things on your machine....keep the ideas coming, you will for sure start recieving PM's. Don't take the crying about prices serious on this forum, you are dealing with people that are driving Tacoma's not Escalades. We are all tight on money here, but if we want something bad enough, we'll find the dough.

·
Pussay!
1,514 Posts
...All I have to say is Brass knuckle shifters ;)
Very cool idea!!! But i would be afraid of making them and getting sued if someone claims they couldnt get their fingers out and get control of the wheel in time to avoid an accident (assuming you needed to put your fingers in the holes to shift). Add a disclaimer.

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
AFP520, I'm sorry to hear that you dislike my products. I began with ONE emblem and people began asking me for more and more. If it was real crap and only an idiot would buy it then no one would buy it but hey... I keep getting orders constantly. Most people don't know how things are made in these days and it's sad. CNC work is expensive and I have to keep up with electric, material, tooling, coolant and time cost, I make them available to CT members for $55 shipping included. The way people look at it is: "oh, it's just an emblem" but reality is that machine shops will charge about $45 to $70 an hour for something being made, I doubt that a shop would do all this for less price. I'm sorry if I made it seem that I'm only interested in money, I attend college right now and I own a black '84 Longbed 4runner straight axel with 6' lift kit and 36' tires, swaped engine for a new one, new bucket seats, all-around LED's, 12' kicker and I'll upgrade my suspension with some Donahoe's. Wish I had something better but I'm happy with what I have. If I posted this here it's because two of my customers sugegsted me to do so and I'm simply making them available.
-Andres
No matter what way you look at it, all you did was add two points to the existing logo, and sell it for a profit. If people want to buy them up, that's great for you, but doesn't change the fact of what you did.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
ive seen those exact pics on ebay a few years back..you sure you just started doing this?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts