Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order a checkmate flush mount fiberglass cover, but I currently have an over-the-rail bedliner, and want to keep it in, it makes the bed look nice and clean when it's scrubbed and spray waxed besides the obvious reason of protecting the bed finish. So what I want to do is cut off the top edge of my bedliner so I can install the cover to sit flush with my bedrails...what I need to know is how much do I need to take off the top (ie. how deep does the cover sit) and are there any other places that would need cut out for mounting hardware etc. ?

Pics would be great if anybody has any!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I would love to get a flush mount cover but I know what if I get something that requires me to remove the caps from the bedrails (I have a over the rail bedliner) it'll look like [censored] because the liner has been on for 7yrs and has worn the paint to the metal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have a over the rail bed liner too. i do not want to have a scratched up bed. i am going to order the fiber glass tonneau cover first then i will see how much of the lip of the bed liner i need to cut off.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
The checkmate covers are about an inch to an inch and a half thick.

Just as a side note of personal preference: I've never been too fond of over the bed rail covers, mostly because of the horror stories I've heard about water gathering underneath the liner and just siting there and eating the bed up.

Anyway, good luck. Post photos when you've got it installed!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yeah, I'm scarred to see what my bed looks like under the liner. I would prefer a spray type liner. Any idea what that cost to have done?

·
Registered
760 Posts
do you guys know the beds of our taco's cant rust? their not steel, my freind cut out a hole through his cab/bed for a box with 2 12" in his bed and it never rusted out or anything.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take it from someone who has spent many hours repairing inside various truck beds, including Tacomas they will rust. Most of these beds were being repaired under warranty because of bedliners, over-rail or under-rail they are all bad. When I bought my Taco it had a liner in it and I got them to swap it for the Toyota rubber bed mat, which is great. The mat will not damage your finish, it comes out easily for cleaning, and when you put stuff in your bed it won't slide around.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
It mounts to the front of the bed with a hinge on each side. Just cut the same amount all around the bed. The struts mount to the inside bed rail also, so you wont have to cut much.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As with most vehicles now before a vehicle is painted at the factory the body has a galvanic compound is applied. This coating will corrode first as a sacrificial layer, but over time the metal will rust. In some areas this may not be an issue but if road salt is used in your area this will accelerate the corrosion process. Sorry for the bad news

·
Registered
232 Posts
quick question...i ordered a checkmate f/x cover a few days ago...it's on its way. Would you happen to know how much it weighs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts