Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just upgraded my 93 taco to a 03 xtra cab! This morining was the coldest morning yet, first AM w/ frost!! It took me forever...forever...to deforst my windsheild. I gave it at least 10 min and I ended up having to clear the windshield with a rag!! The windshield didn't completely clear for about 30 min after driving it!!

My question is this, I felt no wind/air movement from behind the dash onto the windshield, the settings were all set correctly to deforst, nothin else, and yet I felt no air movement behind the top of the dash onto the windshield....any suggestions?

Please tell me that something is wrong and it shouldn't take over 30 miun to defrost my windshield!!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
30 minutes *does* seem more than a little excessive .... :evil:

Your 2003 Tacoma has electromechanical controls for the vent system. My first guesses would be:

- a loose or disconnected duct
- a failure in the control mechanism that adjusts the duct baffles (or whatever ...).

Were you getting heat at all? .... :thinking:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah I was getting plenty of heat, I just couldn't get the windshield to clear.....you said something about a duct...would that be behind the dash in the center?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
Go to the online 2003 Factory Service Manual (FSM) materials at:

http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/

... and rummage through the 'Air Conditioning' section (that's where most all the heating stuff is located).... :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Do you have air conditioning? if you do does it work? If you run the defrost with the a/c on and all the way over to hot it should clear it up on the inside within 10 minutes or less.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried that too and nothin, I am getting no air movement from on top of the dash onto the windshield. I did notice that when I have it on Deforst only, I'm getting a lot of air movement on my feet, I've tried almost everything, checked all the vents, they are all connected, turned the know numerous times. I think I may end up back at the dealer ...... any other suggestions? A/C works great and the heat is hot!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
There's an electrical servomotor controlling the baffle or whatever that directs air to the different ducts. It has multiple positions - the 'farthest' ones being the positions at which air is directed to the defrost (top dash) vents.

I'm guessing either (a) your servomotor isn't functioning correctly or (b) something's jamming the mechanical linkage attached to it.

Go to the 2003 FSM materials cited above, go to the Air Conditioning section (last one), and check the section on the Air Outlet Servomotor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enola...you hit it on the head!! I was getting ready to take apart the lh to get to the servometer when I figured I'd try the lazy man's technique. I disconnected the servometer, ran the air full blast out of all port....shuit the truck off, reconnected the servometer and BINGO I have defrost...Thanks for your help, that manual is incredible!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts