Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the airbox on my 2.7 and the side behind the headlight has these ridges that would make it impossible to screw a deckplate in. I don't know if anybody with a 4 cyl has done this mod, but I can't see how they could. Is there any other way to make the whole re-sealable with a pvc port or something. And if I just cut a whole without a plate, how much water can I get into? Heavy rain, I mean flood-like...could that F me over? How about mad snow? I don't really off road, so could I just leave a fatty whole with no seal under normal driving conditions? -alaskadude

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I was looking at the airbox on my 2.7 and the side behind the headlight has these ridges that would make it impossible to screw a deckplate in. I don't know if anybody with a 4 cyl has done this mod, but I can't see how they could. Is there any other way to make the whole re-sealable with a pvc port or something. And if I just cut a whole without a plate, how much water can I get into? Heavy rain, I mean flood-like...could that F me over? How about mad snow? I don't really off road, so could I just leave a fatty whole with no seal under normal driving conditions? -alaskadude
it's far from impossible!!! Here's the pic of mine I did on my 2.7L. I thought the ribs would be a problem too, my dremel did the job great, and I sealed around it with liquid nails, all good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey,
just started looking on this website, I have a 2003 tacoma 2.4L and I just got a K&N to replace the stock filter and I am wondering about this deck plate. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this mod? Probably a stupid question, but will it pass smog inspection?

·
Registered
373 Posts
There really aren't any disadvantages between doing an intake and a deckpate mod. It's more of the low cost of the deckplate mod and it provides the same flow. It's also been proven that the deckplate brings more hp at the wheels..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
hey,
just started looking on this website, I have a 2003 tacoma 2.4L and I just got a K&N to replace the stock filter and I am wondering about this deck plate. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this mod? Probably a stupid question, but will it pass smog inspection?
Like BrownDuckz said, it's basivally do you want to spend $10, or $200 for basically the same performance? The Deckplate mod with let's say, an Amsoil dropin, or in your case a K&N dropin, does just as good if not better than any aftermarket intake system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
LoL, mine is super ghetto, I took a 3in piece of tubing and put a aftermarket cone filter, and a MAF adapter plate, some silacon couplers LoL
it made it loud, but now i cant even hear it with the magnaflow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
if I just cut a whole without a plate, how much water can I get into? Heavy rain, I mean flood-like...could that F me over? How about mad snow? I don't really off road, so could I just leave a fatty whole with no seal under normal driving conditions? -alaskadude
thats what i did, i have the TRD drop in and the only bad thing is you have to clean it more often, i havnt gotten it wet or clogged with snow yet even when it was raining like mad a few months ago it was bone dry, the head light acts as a shield for the airbox

·
Registered
780 Posts
we just got at least 3" tonight, think i might go do a lil ghetto drifting tonight

but yeah you wont have too much trouble with a big whole in your box as long as you dont expect a warrenty(at least with it on when you take it back to the stealership
) or dont feel like cleaning or replacing filters..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.