Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I installed a ham radio and used the power from the auxilliary outlets under the ashtray (bad idea, I know). The radio never had juice, so I eventually just ran a wire directly from the battery.

Anyway, when I tried originaly to use the outlet leads, I stripped a bit of insulation off the hot and ground wires. As I said, the radio never worked, and since, I haven't been able to get anything out of those outlets. Thinking back, they might not have ever worked. Everything else on that fuse works fine, and the cigarette lighter works fine.

The insulation shows a little copper, but the wires are still connected. I don't get anything with the multimeter directly on the copper on the one outlet or the other outlet, which I never touched.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
The 2001 auxiliary power outlet circuit seems to have its own relay (see attached diagram). A bad relay might explain why the circuit's 'dead' ... :thinking:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that on the schematic but completely ignored it. Any idea where that relay might be? Under the hood with the rest?

Thanks.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
It's in Relay Block #2 (engine compartment, driver's side). Exact location indicated in the attachment ... :waytogo:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you got me all excited last night, but that wasn't it.

I swapped relays with the taillight and the tail kept working while the outlets didn't. I'm going to pull that relay block out and make sure everything's attached down there still.

Any other suggestions?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
Well .....

My 2nd guess would be a short or bad ground in that particular circuit ...

My third guess would be a fault in the outlet itself ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts