Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a recent stereo install I damaged the dashboard in my 2015 Tacoma. The dash was scratched and then melted on the passengers side of the truck over the airbag. What can I say, things happen and mistakes were made. I'm pretty anal about my truck and can't just live with the damage to the dash. I found a couple of places online that I can score a new dash in the $400 to $450 range, but I'm wondering how involved the removal and replacement is. I was quoted 7 hours at $85 an hour from a local body shop (southern maryland). At this price I'll have to live with it. Does any one have a step by step procedure to replace this dashboard, or know of a shop in my area thats reasonable. Looking for options and any help would be great.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) I don't have a complete set of all the documents describing the dash ("instrument panel safety pad" in Toyotese) removal procedure.

However ...

I've forwarded the main procedure summary doc (a PDF file) to your registered email account. This should give you an idea what all's involved in deconstructing the dash.

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the email. After reading the removal procedure, this at least seems possible. Not fun, but possible.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought I give a quick update, if anyones interested. I finished installing a new dashboard in my Tacoma today. Paid $400 for the dash and did the installation myself, with the removal instructions that were emailed to me and a free online service manual. It wasn't as bad as I originally thought and the removal and installation only took me 4 hours.

Defiantly better that the $750 for the dash, plus seven hours labor at $90 an hour I was quoted by a body shop.

If anyone has any questions or needs a few pointers, I am available. Jason

Thanks again Randy!!!!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Thanks, Jason, for following up with a report of a successful outcome. Congrats! :waytogo:

Was there anything during that elaborate procedure that turned out to be a temporary 'gotcha' - i.e., something that bogged you down, or didn't seem to match what the documentation indicated?

Just wondering ... :thinking:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the most part everything went as planned, with few exceptions.

When replacing the dashboard, with a new one, make sure you order the INSTRUMENT PANEL CUSHION. This is a $5.00 piece of foam weather stripping that sticks to the dashboard to form a seal against the window. I didn't order this part, but luckily my truck is less than a year old and I was able to reuse the existing one.

I was also hesitant about separating the weather stripping from the door frames, as directed in the service manual. This turned out to be very easy to do, since Toyota doesn't use adhesive. I thought for sure the weather stripping would be glued and I'd be SOL, but this turned out not to be the case. No procedure in the service manual explained how to remove the weather stripping. Just give it a pull.

I also had a little trouble with the hood release lever, under the dash. The service manual, states that you must release two plastic hooks to separate the lever from the lower instrument panel. You'll end up breaking the hood release lever if you go this route. Instead you must depress a plastic lock on the top of the lever to get it to slide off the panel.

I also made sure to apply blue painters tape to the painted surface of the new dashboard prior to wrestling it into the truck. After seeing how easily the dash scratches, I was taking no chances!

With those few exceptions everything else went flawlessly! As long as you take your time and stay organized this is an easy job. If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up. Jason

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Thanks for the detailed tips! :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
No lie about the masking tape. I've fiddled with the 2001-2004 dashes, and have performed a swap before. They love to get scuffed and scratched easily, especially during the wrestling phase.

I'm actually considering covering mine with a cloth or leather (I have a boo-boo on mine). I've seen frocking videos and... megh. Interior fabrics isn't something I know a whole bunch about, but looks rather labor intensive -- I need a roller and some contact adhesive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, could you send me the pdf so it might help me get to the speedo cable. Pls.
Thanks
Mike
:smile
I finally figured it out....just to pull harder on the vent tube and it disconnects....
Thanks for watching....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts