Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know of a diagram or have a diagram that shows how to take apart the dash assembly for a '01-'02? I checked into Chilton's and others and they don't have a book out there yet for the '01-'02 tacos.

G

·
i was looking at removing the whole dash. don't know how far yet, that was why i was curious if there was a dash disassembly diagram floating around somewhere out there. i do know that there's a lot of little bolts that need to be unbolten. why did you remove the trim pieces to paint them?

·
Registered
186 Posts
there is only a few bolts that are hiiden...2 that screw in upwards in the metal piece that your ashtray slides in, and also two behind plastic piece around your 3 AC/Vent knobs ...pull the knobs straight off and then gently pop out the plastic piece dont be too forcefull as it will break.those are the only hidden bolts ..i have a 2002

·
Registered
186 Posts
as for the whole dash be carefull..on the 95 and up taco's the upper piece of the dash is thin IMO and can be damaged easily..if you live in a very cold climate try removing this at the warmest time of day as plastic gets brittle in the cold

·
Registered
186 Posts
I stand corrected again...its not 95 and up that the dash's are thin,it's the year they got rid of the cup holder that pulls out from the dash and put it on the floor,97 98 or 99 i'm not sure

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Sik, yes I did paint the dash pieces the same color as the exterior of my truck, I have the Dark Emerald Green with the tan interior. To remove the whole dash is quite a chore, I have done this to a couple of Toyta's (Camry Corolla) and a Cavalier. Why do you want to do this, you thinking about painting the entire thing? Be cautious of any airbag components.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was debating on painting the whole thing like that taco that came out in minitruckin' who lives in vegas. he painted the dash that purple chrome illusion. even though it looks good i may not just go that route. painting the inserts around the gauges and the radio is what i'll probably end up doing.

thanks for all the advice everyone....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If your gonna paint be sure its a color you like. I did the same with my Civic. In the end I wish I took to a professional paint shop instead of doing in my garage. I did red one year then black. It looked ok from far away but if you got on top of it YUCK! Every little scratch showed up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ahh the old good from far, but far from good!! Hey, to paint your dash inserts, just remove them yourself, pick a color and bring them to a good body shop. Painted in base clear they look amazing, I get alot of compliments on mine. They can paint them with the same procedure as painting a new unpainted bumper cover; scuff, adhesion promoter, and drive the base clear to em'!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts