Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Haha... good stuff. Well, at least my turbo is still good. I had to put in an oil restrictor because I was getting oil in my intake charge pipe. The Vibrant oil restrictor (https://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Performance/231/10287/10002/-1) has reduced the oil in the intake by about 80% -- but I might just have to put in the smallest fitting to get the best results.

At least I know the 5vz can handle around 14 psi... but I was supposed to gradually increase the boost from 8 to 9 to 10 to maybe 12... but went straight to 14 psi... and LEAN ... oh boy... scared the daylights out of me. I just put more fuel in the map because I was hitting 17:1 AFR's at 13.9 psi. What a day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sheesh, 17 afr at almost 14PSI?! lol Not good at all. At the moment I am sitting around 6PSI but have been contemplating a dual stage boost controller so I can switch between 6 and say... 12 :grin

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Once I get my new wastegate in, I can finally make use of the Innovate SCG-1 and (guessing) probably go as high as 17 psi. The Tial unit I ordered comes with an 8.7 pound spring. From what I hear, EBC's can usually double your boost pressure. So, I think you'll be able to achieve 12 psi.

I don't know where I want my high end boost pressure to sit. I'll probably gradually tune up to as high as 15 psi and stop there. Any more than that, it'll probably pop the motor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been looking for a bit more from my 2002 4Runner. Has the TRD Supercharger on it, 2.1 pulley, and meth injection. It's "around" 300RWHP and 300RWTQ.

Is a turbo worth considering and is it enough of a change to warrant swapping setups? I have an URD 7th injector system on the truck but have it basically turned off now that I'm running meth.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Down pipe comes with kit if you so desire, but wastegate pipe is not tied into the downpipe. The wastegate pipe is an atmospheric dump. I drilled a hole into the second section of the downpipe and welded in a two bolt flange. I then added a 90 degree and bellows flex with a two bolt flange to the wastegate pipe that was included. After all that I was able to bolt the two flanges together, thus connecting the WG pipe to DP stream.

I used an AEM FIC 6 to tune the turbo system. There are threads littered about and I'm sure that I comment in a few of them. I have prior experience with a turboed 2rz and supercharged 5vz utilizing the AEM FIC and went with what I know works. Tuning is a very long winded subject.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This setup would not pass California emissions. If you want more power and to pass emissions, you'd have to go with the TRD supercharger as it's 50 state legal. I don't pay extra to pass emissions; there aren't any in the county I reside. Thanks for the comments y'all.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts