Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's 99.9% installed. I need to clean the engine bay and do some zip-tie/tessa tape tidying. Currently in the tuning stage at 8 psi. If I want more than 8 psi, I'm going to have to buy this boost controller I've had my eye on for a while.

Run-down:

CX Racing Turbo and Header Kit
3" in/out FMIC w/ 3" Intercooler Piping
Go Fast Bits DV+ t9301
AEM FIC-6
318cc Injectors
AEM 50-1000 Fuel Pump
Granatelli (GRN-307540) 4" Exhaust Cutout
Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust
Front Big Brake Kit

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good looking setup! I just finished turboing mine with the CX manifolds also. Been driving it around for a couple weeks, also waiting for my fuel timing controller so I can actually (safely) get into boost

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's going to be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's already scaring me. It's ridiculously smooth and I find myself going way too fast, way too quick. The supercharger would build quickly, but then plateau. This builds a hair slower, which can be mitigated with an EBC, but regardless the power comes on exponentially and without trouble. The torque is insane. In cold weather, after tire warm-up, I easily spin 4th going 80 mph. I don't know if it needs 12 psi... I don't think my clutch is slipping, but sometimes I feel like it might be. Could be some other kind of wrinkle.

Boost builds from 2200-2900 rpms (2-5 psi) and goes to the moon after 3000 rpm.

Brake upgrade gave me about... 200% more brake. I dunno, it stops good now, even though it needs another bleed. The most brake I've used is maybe... 40% of it? It just feels good knowing I can emergency stop back to back and beyond now.

Sean, it's a shame you didn't buy the AEM FIC, I could've just given you my tune.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's already scaring me. It's ridiculously smooth and I find myself going way too fast, way too quick. The supercharger would build quickly, but then plateau. This builds a hair slower, which can be mitigated with an EBC, but regardless the power comes on exponentially and without trouble. The torque is insane. In cold weather, after tire warm-up, I easily spin 4th going 80 mph. I don't know if it needs 12 psi... I don't think my clutch is slipping, but sometimes I feel like it might be. Could be some other kind of wrinkle.

Boost builds from 2200-2900 rpms (2-5 psi) and goes to the moon after 3000 rpm.

Brake upgrade gave me about... 200% more brake. I dunno, it stops good now, even though it needs another bleed. The most brake I've used is maybe... 40% of it? It just feels good knowing I can emergency stop back to back and beyond now.

Sean, it's a shame you didn't buy the AEM FIC, I could've just given you my tune.

Ah, that's alright. I appreciate the gesture. I am not running larger injectors thought so it may have been skewed for my needs. My buddy just got his FIC6 wired up and going. We ripped it around the block and wow, moves pretty good for a 4Runner. He was letting out at 3psi too. I am excited for mine to be tuned!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, that's alright. I appreciate the gesture.
If that URD unit gives you trouble... and I'm not going to spoil the surprise, but if you switch over to the AEM, hit me up and I can scale the map to stock injectors. I'd have to take out the MAF clamp for the 3 inch MAF piping I'm running anyways. At the very least, it will be a rich base map and you can slowly remove fuel until AFR's are gravy.

Just trying to spread the Taco love, man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If that URD unit gives you trouble... and I'm not going to spoil the surprise, but if you switch over to the AEM, hit me up and I can scale the map to stock injectors. I'd have to take out the MAF clamp for the 3 inch MAF piping I'm running anyways. At the very least, it will be a rich base map and you can slowly remove fuel until AFR's are gravy.

Just trying to spread the Taco love, man.
Well, I suppose in good news I waited 6 days for shipping info from URD and never received any. I asked on the status and said that if it hasn't shipped then I will just take a refund. I got an email saying "done" and then an order cancellation email. So, AEM is on the way! I'd accept a base map if it isn't too much of a hassle. Is the map for a stock fuel system?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is outstanding news. I'm not saying the URD FTC doesn't do as advertised, but it does it in a way that isn't permanent. The Toyota ECM eventually compensates for the MAF tune and renders it null.

I can take an educated guess on scaling the injectors to give a base map, but it shouldn't be treated like a golden tune. The initial setup of the AEM FIC has known nuances for different years of the Toyota ECM. This comes into play with the O2 sensor resistor wiring/setup. I also have a resistor bridge on my cam signal. I don't know if you'll be doing the wiring yourself or what, but there are a few AEM FIC 5vz wiring threads littered on this forum. It should also be known that I'm not retarding any timing on my ignition map and I'm running GM knock sensors. Kurt talks about them in the thread you created (https://www.customtacos.com/forum/13-performance/196031-iso-5vz-turbo-info-input.html#post2118923).

Do you have an AFR/wideband gauge?
Do you have an OBDII scan tool that can be plugged into a computer?

Also keep in mind that I street tune my 5vz and have never taken it to a dyno myself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Street tuning is the way to go. Takes time but then you know your engine better and are familiar with the software by the end of it. I also have the AEM FIC 6 on a 4-plug ECU, I still have my wiring notes if you run into issues.

Great turbo build btw. Not very many people try and turbo a 5VZ-FE since there's not a whole lot of space in there!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, but I really wish I had a controlled environment for my power pulls. I've street tuned the 2rz turbo, 5vz supercharger, and now 5vz turbo all on the street.

Thanks for the kudos man. I didn't fabricate the manifolds or downpipe, but everything else was done with my Hobart 140 MIG. Ha... you're right about the space, as there are a few hoses/wires zip-tied out of the way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is outstanding news. I'm not saying the URD FTC doesn't do as advertised, but it does it in a way that isn't permanent. The Toyota ECM eventually compensates for the MAF tune and renders it null.

I can take an educated guess on scaling the injectors to give a base map, but it shouldn't be treated like a golden tune. The initial setup of the AEM FIC has known nuances for different years of the Toyota ECM. This comes into play with the O2 sensor resistor wiring/setup. I also have a resistor bridge on my cam signal. I don't know if you'll be doing the wiring yourself or what, but there are a few AEM FIC 5vz wiring threads littered on this forum. It should also be known that I'm not retarding any timing on my ignition map and I'm running GM knock sensors.

Do you have an AFR/wideband gauge?
Do you have an OBDII scan tool that can be plugged into a computer?

Also keep in mind that I street tune my 5vz and have never taken it to a dyno myself.
I understand that I will need to adjust the tune to my needs. My buddy noticed when he was wiring his cam resistor that the AEM instructions were wrong and he had found a forum showing the "correct" way to wire it?? Did any of you guys notice or experience this too? or did you wire it per AEM instructions?

I do have an AEM wideband installed.
I do have access to a scan tool.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may have been the forum where your buddy found the correct wiring diagram. Mine is not wired per AEM's instructions. As I understand it, the resistor is used to clean up noisy cam signals.

Good, there's a lot less likely chance of popping your motor if you can monitor your AFR's and know when to get out when it's lean.
Scan tool needs to show short-term and long-term fuel trims.

Today, I discovered my clutch can't hold the power at 8 psi with the better tune, so I need to upgrade it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, quick update. I got my FIC wired up but, I cannot connect it to the PC. Physically it is connected but when everything is plugged in the little "connect" button doesn't illuminate. It also doesn't start which I am assuming because I am not able to upload the base tune?

Got it going.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, I was curious what you are tuning for open loop. Is it the O2 map? My closed loop is enrichening like it should but I think I am hitting open loop at WOT and it drops lean (need to fix that).

Also, I keep getting knock sensor code after hitting boost. I assume I need to retard some timing, I haven't touched the ignition map yet. Would you guys be able to post pics of your 02 and ignition maps? I'd like to study them if possible :smile

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey guys, I was curious what you are tuning for open loop. Is it the O2 map? My closed loop is enrichening like it should but I think I am hitting open loop at WOT and it drops lean (need to fix that).

Also, I keep getting knock sensor code after hitting boost. I assume I need to retard some timing, I haven't touched the ignition map yet. Would you guys be able to post pics of your 02 and ignition maps? I'd like to study them if possible :smile
O2 sensor tuning only works for closed loop, the ECU ignores the O2 sensor in open loop.

My tuning notes are here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/245552-jerods-supercharged-t[u]rd-build.html

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Innovate Gauge with boost controller (SCG-1) install test drive ruined by a bad wastegate. CXRacing wastegate is dead after less than 4000 miles on the turbo. It was a lean 13.9 psi, let me tell ya.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts