Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this Tacoma World thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toyota-trucks-suvs/25736-did-toyota-even-make.html

... an Oregon TW member posted these photos (attached) of what is obviously a long bed 2001 - 2004 Double Cab. These are the only photos he offered.

I don't remember seeing such a thing before.

It appears pretty obvious the wheelbase has been lengthened.

Anyone recognize this rig, or have any opinions about how it was done?

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I compared it against other photos, and I'm pretty confident the frame has been lengthened.

The only other alternative I could come up with was frankensteining an XtraCab / Regular Cab 'long' bed to move the wheel well opening farther forward, which obviously hasn't been the result here.

Still, there's something about the body / lines around the rear wheel well that doesn't look 'right'.

If Toyota ever built any one-off long bed prototypes back when they were developing the Double Cab, I've never heard of it ...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other note ... The TW original poster lists his location as 'Klamath Falls / Golden Beach OR'. He wrote that he was 'driving home' when he saw this rig, but he didn't specify where exactly.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
the gap between the bed and body dosent look right at all..

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i say it was streached under the cab
That's more or less my guess, too ...

The very rear seems to have the OEM spare tire carrier in place, so I'm guessing the 'stretch' was done somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Always wondered how'd it look with a regular bed....Looks wierd to me....Maybe because i'm jus used to seeing the 4dr short bed :shrug: ....Now i wonder how'd it look with a stepside bed :D

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
The cab looks like a different color than the front and back fenders, either that or the paint is more faded or something. Nice job, truck just needs to be cleaned up and I thing it would look a lot more natural. The bed does look a bit off as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Def. looks like its stretched in the center under the cab. My cousin did a similar stretch on a x-cab long bed '84-'88 style truck a long time back. The body/bed lined up better then.

On the Double cabs the rear of the cab is wider that the rear of the reg cab and ex-cabs to make up for the width the bed flares out to over the tires. I think thats why the body lines look so "off".

Nick

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
lil more useful of a truck now :waytogo: .....they would of had to lengthen the driveshaft as well as all the fuel and brakelines and all the wiring :thinking: MAYBE its on a tundra frame and has a v8:evil: ......i like this one

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
In hawaii, on the big island, there is a lifted 2001-2004 double cab that had a long bed swap to it...I seen on a trip back home and it was in the Hilo mall parking lot. I looked at the frame because this is something I really want to do, but they had a full tube frame from the rear cab mount back...I wish i could find my old cell phone to share some pics. It looked super nutz...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In hawaii, on the big island, there is a lifted 2001-2004 double cab that had a long bed swap to it... I looked at the frame because this is something I really want to do, but they had a full tube frame from the rear cab mount back...
Thanks for the 'report from the field' ... :waytogo:

It helps confirm that a frame modification is required ... :thinking:

·
Registered
439 Posts
The problem with trying to fit a long bed on a double cab is the cab starts to flare out about the middle of the rear doors to follow the Tacoma lines. As you can see from this picture he removed the body lines on the lower part of the bed in front of the wheels. Look at the bottom of the double cab and you can see it has the same flare as a Tacoma long bed in front of the wheels. The double cab long bed was the original plan for Enola's truck but after a lot of measuring the plan changed because I just didn't think you could ever make it look right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts