Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was giving my truck some needed TLC when I remembered seeing some threads on replacing the foam/rubber things that go into two of the cup holders to help hold smaller drinks. I bought my truck in 2009 and they were already broken. I picked up the tabs from the dealer for under $8.

What is needed:
QTY four of 66995-AD011 (the short tabs) $1.58 each
QTY one of 66995-AD021 (the longer tab that is shared between the two cup holders) $1.58 each
10mm socket for the four bolts
phillips screwdriver for two screws

This is the end goal.

Remove the two 10mm bolts that are in the center console.

Remove the two bolts on the outside rear of the center console (one per side). Push your seats forward to get to them.

Remove the two screws on the center console (one per side).

Pull up the back half of the center console (the section to the rear of the shifter). Unscrew the tabs and put the new ones in.

New and improved:
When I removed what was left of the originals from underneath the center console, I could see why they broke. They were made of some type of foam material. I read the new ones were improved and that appears to be true (looks like they are solid rubber or similar)

Broken old tab VS new tab

Since the new tabs are more dense, the screws that hold the tabs in didn’t get into the plastic as much (new tabs don’t compress much) and I couldn’t tighten them down very well. I abandoned the stock thick white plastic washers and used a much thinner metal washer. This let the screw get in a little further so I could tighten them down.

Now my 22 Oz. Slurpees will sit safe cradled by the new tabs. Who am I kidding? I only get the Super big gulp size slurpee :smile

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,728 Posts
Great writeup! :waytogo: :applause:

Thanks for taking the time to document everything ... :bow:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man!! that was what I needed. Thought it would be easy, but now I know it is. Just bought an 01 TRD with a Magnuson supercharger. Love, love, love my truck. Little things needed done. Thanks to TRD and Bend Toyota, I know my truck is sound (87,000 original miles). A few little things like the rear quarter window billet pieces to replace the broken plastic ones. The cupholder was driving me crazy. no more....thanks....BG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts