Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Cornering performance

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  pimpRunner 
#1 ·
Hi CT,
I see that a lot of people do the -3inch bj flip mod and stick lowering blocks in the rear. I've been driving the stock setup aggressively on the way to work but it doesn't feel like its enough (I also drive at the nearby mountain passes). How good is cornering performance with said modifications? I don't plan to ever do a coilover conv. as I wish to push the old school suspensions' limits at the track too. How is the high-speed stability as well?
Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't think lowering helped much at all. It sure lowers the center of gravity, but you start to hit rear bumps fast, and it leans a whole lot. I put the hellwig rear sway bar in and it made it a whole lot better. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped just lowered, but I wouldn't mind tracking it with a rear sway bar. I also still have the factory tires, low profile tires would also help a lot.

#3 ·
... I put the hellwig rear sway bar in and it made it a whole lot better. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped just lowered, but I wouldn't mind tracking it with a rear sway bar ...
I agree - adding a rear anti-sway bar will do more for cornering stability than anything else you might do - including simply lowering the center of gravity.

Personally, I think lowering strategies that monkey with the front suspension components (e.g., the b/j flip) don't help. They unavoidably screw with the suspension geometry, and it takes a lot of tweaking to get things back the way they were designed to be.

Another aspect of the problem is the light rear end with an empty bed. Settling down the bed with some weight makes a bigger difference than most folks realize.

Just my .02 ...

Reactions: pimpRunner
#4 ·
Hm.
I have to say that I was a bit skeptical when I found out that people were doing this mod to their toyotas, sounds silly even...
I'm thinking about just getting some lowering springs/blocks and going with some monomax's all-round. Currently doing research on rear sway bars. I do plan on getting wider wheels/tires after the drop so that will help drastically.
Good luck.

#13 ·
I'm surprised to hear that a Toyota dealership claims the S-Runner swaybars are still being sold.

Did they tell you the swaybar was still being sold through the dealership?

I'm confused as to why they didn't or couldn't give you a list or diagram of all the needed parts at the dealership.

Here (attached) is the SR rear swaybar parts diagram from the 2001 - 2004 factory parts list. It gives the OEM part numbers for each of the components. Remember - you'd need 2 of each ... The Stabilizer Link Bracket is the only piece for which there are different versions for the right and left sides.

Text Font Line Illustration

#14 ·
Yes, the parts guy said the bars itself are still being sold but some of the parts in the diagram are not. If I'm not mistaken, the stabilizer link (#4 in the diagram) were discontinued and are out of stock. Thanks for the info. I'll try to contact my local dealership again and find out more details about this.

#16 ·
I can't say I'm surprised, because I thought it odd they'd told you they were still available 16 years after the last S-Runners were sold.

Anyway ... Sorry to hear they dashed your hopes.

I suppose the next step is to consider a Hellwig rear sway bar. The longstanding advice was "Addco front / Hellwig rear."

Reactions: Michael Bueno245
#18 ·
So I ended up wrecking the truck on some local backroads but I learned quite a bit about it. If you drop the rear end a few inches there is literally no suspension travel which means less grip at the back = turn moar. The v6 belltechs were amazing when paired with the monomaxes. All you need is a mild drop and a teeth-clenching front shock/spring setup with wheels and tires. The truck was super fun during the short time that I had it. transported longblocks, car parts/panels, hauled garbage, and was still plenty of fun on trails and backroads. I just got another 2rz 5-lug a couple months ago. :LOL: also lowering the truck enabled it to speed demon all the turns on windy bay area highways.

#19 ·
Sorry to hear you wrecked the first Taco. :(

On the first / wrecked truck, did you modify the rear leaf pack, or did it remain stock? My guess is that it had been modified (e.g., removing a leaf).

#20 ·
so it was actually my second wrecked tacoma, the first one was just rolled but this second one went straight to hell 😂
what i did in the back was lower it with 3in steel djm blocks, i noticed at first that there was no travel so i figured it would work like a car with a big rear swaybar (intentional light oversteer). it cornered pretty good for the shitty weight distribution our trucks have, although i did do a good amount of weight reduction at the front end (aircon delete, passenger seat, etc.)

#21 ·
So the oe s runner bar is cheaper than the hellwig?
I have been looking at the addco and can't confirm fitment on the 5 lug as they list 2x4 and 4x4 ad the same part number.
But I feel it, the mono max is not enough with the low profile tires. Need something more (I had an XR so my bar is pretty high)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.